1995 W124 E280 a wart or a beauty spot?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jackafrica

Car
1984 W123 053 (280CE)
From what little I've learned of MB W124 history, this model appears to be considered an orphan. Shows in a value/price point.

Engine wiring loom issues. Bio-degradable insulation in the heated up valley between the cams.

Different fuel injection system for a few years only on the M104. More complicated in a diagnostic sense?

Last of the series fitted with different components and assemblies only applicable to these years '93-'96. Parts market doesn't cater as well.

Passenger SRS bag in place of a glovebox. What were they thinking?

There's probably other specific issues, perhaps others could advise from experience. What else sets them apart?

Anyway, I'd love to hear others experiences, in an effort to create a thread where we can learn, especially me.
I've bought one!

Cheers
Richard

The e280 and the e320 m104 both share the same issues with bio-degradable wiring insulation, coil pack unit's failing due to heat in the top of the head, and also the electronic throttle body can fail too.

They are great engines for a daily driver though, with a lovley broad power curve. I suspect that most new buyers ordered the 320 over the 280, as the running cost's are the same for both so why have what was described as the lower powered option? The 320 dose seem more common in the used market, from my own point of veiw.

When you mention different fuel injection, I suspect your thinking of the early 3.0 m104 which had mechanical bosch fuel injection instead of the later engines hfm managment system. This engine is a very different animal to the later 2.8 and 3.2 engines, and has a few problems of it's own.

Have a E280TE W124 M104 which is my spare when I've left my daily driver elsewhere or I have it, or another family car, in bits. I've had it 2 years and put only 3000 miles on it. Did 28mpg on a fast Yorks - Devon - Yorks run last summer and is very pleasant indeed. It was a KPMG company car for its first 6 years and around 150,000 miles, so got off to a good start maintenance wise. Having decided to keep it long term I have, even as we speak, the wiring loom on my bench. I'm doing this only as a precautionary, since I had no running issues, but it was in a poor state. I'll be replacing all the multi strand wires (prob not the co-ax), and, so far it looks a lot less daunting than I feared. The main requirement seems to be meticulous labelling so that everything is replaced and reconnected correctly. I may also rewire the ETA whilst I'm about it. Will post a DIY on completion.
I think the 280E is a great car and a bargain if you simply address this critical issue.

I ran a 1993 280TE for a year, it was mid facelift so didn't have the passenger air bag in place of the glovebox.

As a car it was fine, I suspect it was "born" in order for Mercedes to charge more for the 320 and as has been said served no real useful purpose over and above a 320 as mine was as uneconomical as the 320.

Now you have to buy these cars on condition (as I did with my 280TE) and I would worry far less about the engine size than the condition of the car as a whole. I liked mine very much, it was quick and refined. The wiring loom bit me but that was it's only problem.

Definitely a beauty spot! With any 104 engined 124, the three main issues over time will be rust at the front, wiring loom and head gasket. My rust free 94 E320 has no obvious signs of loom degradation at 55k miles, checked at services, and I wonder if the lack of use has slowed down the ageing process accelerated by heat? The next plug change may reveal more though.

I had a 96 280 estate for three and a half years, which was a mess, body wise, and drove beautifully at 145k when I sold it, other than a slight clunk from the auto box when selecting D. It was still on the original loom, but had an oil pump and radiator etc at 88k, and another rad at about 140k.

Cars with passenger airbags acquired a storage box over the centre console tray!

Here in Australia it appears the late E280 is less regarded than the 300E up to the twin cam M104, on a value point by as much as 30+%.
Given the values here are still up to $10k for 300E sedans with less than 160,000 kilometres or 100,000 miles. The E280 is maybe $7k.

Before I'm barraged with the " get one over here and import it", let me assure you it isn't economical or possible due to certain import restrictions. I digress.

I've chosen to buy a '95 model, with 156,000ks, done as many checks as possible and look forward to picking it up on Monday night. Finding genuine low mileage, documented cars is not easy. This one was only 80k or 50 miles away, a lucky break as I live on the island state of Tasmania where there aren't many cars for sale due to a smaller population base.

The engine wiring loom, leaking head gasket syndrome has taken its toll on value.
Or am I missing something which degrades the desire for the last of the 124 Series?

Cheers
Richard

3.0 24v ke-jet engines, like i have, don't have degradeable loom, electronic throttle actuator, coils etc. And still make same power as the newer ones.
Also it has oil-squirters, which later m104 don't have, so i much prefer my good old early m104.

Have a E280TE W124 M104 which is my spare when I've left my daily driver elsewhere or I have it, or another family car, in bits. I've had it 2 years and put only 3000 miles on it. Did 28mpg on a fast Yorks - Devon - Yorks run last summer and is very pleasant indeed. It was a KPMG company car for its first 6 years and around 150,000 miles, so got off to a good start maintenance wise. Having decided to keep it long term I have, even as we speak, the wiring loom on my bench. I'm doing this only as a precautionary, since I had no running issues, but it was in a poor state. I'll be replacing all the multi strand wires (prob not the co-ax), and, so far it looks a lot less daunting than I feared. The main requirement seems to be meticulous labelling so that everything is replaced and reconnected correctly. I may also rewire the ETA whilst I'm about it. Will post a DIY on completion.
I think the 280E is a great car and a bargain if you simply address this critical issue.

As soon as the car is home, the cam valley cover will be removed and a thorough inspection will take place.
Prior to that I'll look at the date code near the ECU and battery to determine if it has ever been changed. I have my fingers crossed on this one.

Cheers
Richard

3.0 24v ke-jet engines, like i have, don't have degradeable loom, electronic throttle actuator, coils etc. And still make same power as the newer ones.
Also it has oil-squirters, which later m104 don't have, so i much prefer my good old early m104.

Your's makes approx 5% more power than the later 3.2 however it makes less torque by 12.2%

What makes you think they removed the piston oil squirters from the later 104 engines ?

From what little I've learned of MB W124 history, this model appears to be considered an orphan. Shows in a value/price point.

Engine wiring loom issues. Bio-degradable insulation in the heated up valley between the cams.

Different fuel injection system for a few years only on the M104. More complicated in a diagnostic sense?

Last of the series fitted with different components and assemblies only applicable to these years '93-'96. Parts market doesn't cater as well.

Passenger SRS bag in place of a glovebox. What were they thinking?

There's probably other specific issues, perhaps others could advise from experience. What else sets them apart?

Anyway, I'd love to hear others experiences, in an effort to create a thread where we can learn, especially me.
I've bought one!

Cheers
Richard

It's no orphan - it's a mainstream engine series and was found across the range of mercs of that time.

From S class and SL class and including C class 280, and to the next generation E class the 210 chassis.

From a diagnostic front it is simply the best with a reliable flash code system
from the diagnostic plug using very simple LED pulser.

Compared to the earlier W124 series, it seems herein Australia at least, the series 2 is held in the highest regard, then the series 1 and finally, a long way back, especially in value the 3rd iteration of the W124.

Personally, at this time, after looking, I preferred the 1st series for the aesthetics, simplicity of engine, etc.
I do fell that fortune smiled on me in presenting a 3rd series, only 80ks away from home.

My initial views were formed by what others have written on vaious forums generally and the reflection of the value in the marketplace. Not borne of 1st hand experience, yet.

I'm looking forward to the ownership and hope the experience is as positive as my putting down the money to buy one.

Cheers
Richard

Your's makes approx 5% more power than the later 3.2 however it makes less torque by 12.2%

What makes you think they removed the piston oil squirters from the later 104 engines ?
M104 had oil-squirters up to 1994 if i'm not mistaken.

the 124 Bible implies that the 104 bottom end was the same for the 300 and including the later 2.8 and 3.2 up to end of production of the 104 engines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom