1996 C200 Crankcase Magnet Probs!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rotax100uk

Car
'96 Merc C200
Hi all, i have a 1996 Merc C200, (W202 I think). I have found a strange rattle noise from front of engine which appears when revving the car and with serching the internet forums found this to be the crankcase magnet, in testing this to confirm found this is the culpret, by dissconnecting it while running and revving the engine, hey, no noise while dissconnected, so i ran the car 20+ miles with the magnet wires off and car ran just like normal without any funny rattle noises. so what i need to know is do i need to replace this magnet or can i just leave it dissconnected.

Also any help as to where to get a replacement would be good, as im not having much luck finding any on the internet for my car.

Thanks

Try to describe the position and shape of your " crankcase magnet" its a not a familiar name it may be called something else normally??

19961996-mercedes-e320-210-055-camshaft-timing-adjuster-magnet-assembly.jpg

Sorry i think its called the crankshaft magnet. its located at the front of the engine under a black plastic cover high up over top of the water pump.

1190510077.jpg

220110d1234129864-replacing-camshaft-adjuster-magnet-cam-mag.jpg

Yup its the camshaft advance mechanism. The solenoid moves a plunger inside the cam advance mechanism this allows oil into the adjuster which advances the inlet cam timing this is controlled by the engine ECU at certain preset engine revolutions. There is also a cam position sensor located at the side of the cylinder head [ SAME SIDE AS THE CAM ADJUSTER ] to give the ECU more information- make sure that's connected OK The result is a engine that produces more torque thro the rev range and better economy. By disconnecting it you are effectively disabling the unit. There's a little spring inside the hydraulic unit which sometimes breaks. it may be that that causing your problem.

I don't think the solenoid is the problem

If im looking at this right, Number 68 (camshaft advance mechanism) is on the outside of the engine... then numbers 65,59,62,56,38 etc etc.. are on the inside of the engine.

do you think the problem is the spring (No 38) ??

Thanks, Think i will have a look into taking it apart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom