1996 C280 Sport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peterg1965

MB Enthusiast
Car
2019 Audi Q7, 2018 Mini Cooper S, 2016 Porsche 718 Boxster S
As some of you may know, I am selling my black JAG XJ6 3.2 Sport on eBay. Someone has asked if I wish to swap for this C280 Sport.... I am not tempted at all, it is not the replacement car I need, but it looks like a decent car with low miles.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320315476035&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm38.l1313%26_nkw%3D320315476035%26_fvi%3D1

It is also decent in red. I know nothing about these cars, but would not think that they are that economical. What do you guys think?

He claims to be selling it to buy a hatchback -- so why look at your XJ6?

W202's are generally good cars, but i wouldn't go after one thats been modified to look like a C36 AMG. god knows what else he's done to it.

Looks nice ...

Doesn't look like its been doctored too much , if the kit was factory fit , shouldn't it have the AMG back box too ?

I know someone with a C220 with a factory AMG kit and that came with the backbox ( N reg ) ....

Only thing that rings alarm bells is the C36 badging ....

Looks a nice motor from the pictures alone

I am not tempted in the slightest, it would be like "jumping from the frying pan to the fire" going from an old XJ6 to a 13 year old C class! I need to look at a far more 'sensible' car to replace the petrol guzzling XJ!

I agree that it looks OK though, not that I have a clue about old W202s.

Its a nice car with low milliage but its very low specced on the inside the only big option it seems to have is leather and even that could be MB Tex judging by the door cards.

I am not tempted in the slightest, it would be like "jumping from the frying pan to the fire" going from an old XJ6 to a 13 year old C class! I need to look at a far more 'sensible' car to replace the petrol guzzling XJ!

I agree that it looks OK though, not that I have a clue about old W202s.

If your looking for a sensible car with reasonable economy a W202 with a 2 litre isn't a bad car. Back in 97 I ran a 94 C220 doing chauffer work ,amongst other things, and it stood up to the punishment and miles very well. I've just recently aquired another C class, this time with a 2 litre - body is solid, interiors are good build quality and the car drives almost like new. So far on a full tank I've covered 150 miles and it still shows well above half a tank although I'm watching closely to see how quick the rest goes down. Some of these 90's cars are showing incredible durability and with the right servicing and upkeep I don't see why such a car couldn't easily cover another 14 years.

He claims to be selling it to buy a hatchback -- so why look at your XJ6?

I wouldn't shoot him down for this, I often have an idea of a car I want, and end up buying something completely the other end of the scale, purely because it's too good a car to say no to, or I just fancy a change?:confused: :cool: :D

C280

Nice looking C280, Ditch those badges though!

Swap definately wont happen now, I have just sold my Jag for £2200, bloke has just driven of in it!!

no mention of any service history or number of previous owners; my guess is it is a tarted up rust bucket - one spot here and one spot there and er um oh look two tubs of Isopon around it....

C230k's have much better consumption than c280's... and they're quicker too

When someone outlines the faults and says "easy cheap repair", my first thought is, well why the hell don't you get on and do it?

I think that at ~ £2k that's a nice W202 for one of the younger members on here, etc.

Looks nice, has all the bits that people like to do already done (AMG bodykit, wheels) etc. If the mileage is genuine, surely it's a reasonably good buy at that money.

Perhaps lose the 'C36' badges from the back, and maybe an AMG rear exhaust to finish it off? Not sure how bad the couple of scabs are, but it certainly looks better than some of the newer W202s (C43s!), that I've seen, etc.

I'm guessing that the leather was retro fitted. It does look like a proper W202 leather trim, but the door cards don't.

So maybe he picked up a set of seats, and recovered his original (cloth) door cards?

VIN lookup would tell all, but we can't easily get the VIN from the registration any more can we?

Will

I think that at ~ £2k that's a nice W202 for one of the younger members on here, etc.

At 43 do I count as a 'younger member'? If so, I had better go and buy it ! :D

At 43 do I count as a 'younger member'? If so, I had better go and buy it ! :D

Young at heart or whatever, I guess the younger 202 owners tend to like the bodykits/mods etc etc, you know what I mean! :D:)

I think I'd rather the Jag that you've just sold rather than that W202 though if I'm honest :cool:

Will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom