1996 E220 Coupe Water in boot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

356b

Car
MB R129 500SL / MB W126 300SE
Hi all,

I'm a new member, so apologies in advance if this has been covered elsewhere in the forums.

My issue is that the boot and both boot side-wells of my 1996 E220 Coupe are consistently collecting water and creating the most appalling damp smell. I wouldn't dare put anything of any value anywhere in the boot as it will just collect water and get wrecked. Even just leaving something in the general area of the boot, it gets wet.

I believe that the boots in MBs are notorious for this issue, but there seem to be few, if any, successful methods of fixing this issue. I have spent some time trying to source and clear out any debris that might cause a blockage anywhere, I routinely hoover out the bits from the bottom of the side-wells, I have removed the rubber outlet bits from them also, to make sure that anything that comes in to them can just fall out. The side-wells and under where the spare wheel goes are now rusted and it seems to me that the water is coming from top down rather than ground up, but how or from where completely baffles me.

Does anyone with a similar issue have any useful regular maintenance tips that I should be doing in order to keep on top of this? There is no point in me buying new carpet etc for the boot until the issue itself has been resolved. I live in Ireland and it rains here. Alot. All of the time :)

Thanks!

If you have checked the obvious--- boot lid seals rear indicator/light clusters seals Most likely is the rear window/screen which is prone to leakage. Its laminated and bonded in. They tend to delaminate over time which leads to blooming from the sides. If you don't have this "blooming or grey misting" to any extent [ might just be a trace at the side] chances are the rear screen has been replaced ---possibly badly!! leading to leaks- the metal surround that the screen is bonded into often rots as well and should be replaced for a 100% repair if its damaged. Get into the boot with a torch and have a look at the parcel shelf area for signs of water ingress. It will run down the sides and accumulate in the boot side wells area.

Thanks for the info @grober. I'll check those tips out later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom