1996 (P) C180 Classic Auto advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

allysim

Car
1996 C180 Classic Auto
Hi all I'm going to see one of these today and I was wondering if any advice could be given re longevity of engine, gearbox etc. It has 150000 on the clock and is in good all around condition with mot till Feb 2014 and tax till June. The dealer wants 595 no offers.... I'm only looking at it as a stopgap till jan next year and I do about 40 miles a day. Basically is 150000 over the top for this engine, when have a drive what can I look out for that will make this a big no no?! What are the common faults of older C180s?

Many thanks in advance.

Hi, just look out for rust, mileage should not matter on any car, as long as it has been looked after.

What dog68 said. If you are just using it as a commuter car for yourself then no worries with that mileage on the engine. Just of course check the service history - that it has been serviced at least now and again.

If you ever travel with 4 up you will find it underpowered but only in that situation. I had one for 12 months or so with 175K on the clock and it was a fine motor. I paid about what you will be paying for yours and sold it for the same 12 months on. You cannot beat that.

Good Luck and welcome to the forum.

Well, you can find a reasonable W202 transport car for that kind of money but consider this.

If the dealer is selling it for £595 he will have paid virtually nothing for it as a trade in, tarted it up & run it past his friendly MOT place. You've gotta ask yourself why the seller would have traded it in for a couple of hundred, which is scrap value, rather than sell it himself.

There's no money in it for the dealer so he won't have spent any on it prior to sale & will not spend any on it if anything goes wrong in the near future.

Might be best to look at private sellers who are selling their own car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom