1996 R129 320SL - non start

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smurgewurfler

Car
R129 320SL, R170 320SLK Manual, S204 220 CDi AMG
This is sorted I hope but I thought it worth telling the tale in case anyone has a similar experience.
My SL is garaged and usually gets a run every month or so throughout the year, weather permitting. The battery has always survived this without the need of a battery conditioner. A recent gap of 8 weeks meant the thing was too flat to start the car (although not completely dead) so I put it on charge overnight with an ordinary charger.
The following morning the battery was showing a full charge but the car would not start. Thinking I had fried something by not disconnecting the battery I checked all the fuses (except the OVP which I could not get at - there's another thread about this) and began to worry about the costs of calling in someone with a Star and spending loads to get it fixed.
Trying various things over the last two weeks in response to helpful advice from all quarters did no good so I left it on the conditioner for a week and lo and behold it started yesterday morning. Before going for a run I turned it off, only to find the same thing; it would lock and unlock the car but still not start.
In desperation I checked the batteries in the remote fob and found them low but not flat - after all, it was operating the locks. New CR2025 batteries have solved the problem! Clearly the signal was strong enough to operate the locks but not to deactivate the immobiliser as well.
Incidentally, the A/C shares the same fuse as the immobiliser so if your A/C is not working then the chances are that the immobiliser won't change its status from the fob - if it was off when the fuse blew it will stay off and vice versa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom