1996 R129 SL 500 - to buy or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E55BOF

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLS63 SB, SLK55, CLK350 'Vert, Triumph Sprint (Bike not Dolly...),
I'm now Really REALLY tempted to buy an R129 SL500 (the bug has bitten - see my other recent threads...). I've been offered a 1996 SL500 - black, grey leather, decent condition all round, everything but the aircon works, 140K miles, full history (mainly at indies) - for £4400. My only reservation is the possibility of the loom issue; the car is August 1996 refgistered, and I have found conflicting opinions on whether it might be affected.

Can anybody set my mind at rest for sure , and if the loom issue does not affect it, does this seem like a 'snap his hand off' deal?

Please help...

June 1996 A124 despatch from factory date with loom problem, but you should check the date sticker on the 129 loom to see if it has already been replaced - by now they should have to be honest - although having said that the one on my low miler car hasn't and it is still performing nicely...

Last edited:
Thank you for that. Do you have any idea how much a loom repair would be if it were needed?

Sounds cheap - any pics - condition?

Loom can be replaced at home if you're reasonably competent - not a hard job from the looks of things. Probably about £500 from MB but you need to take the VIN and check with them.

You can pull back the wiring sheath and check if this one has been replaced - quite a few of them have now.

Cheers

B

June 1996 A124 despatch from factory date with loom problem, but you should check the date sticker on the 129 loom to see if it has already been replaced - by now they should have to be honest - although having said that the one on my low miler car hasn't and it is still performing nicely...

Not very reassuring then when all and sundry quoting 1993-1995 then, especially as I bought an early 1996 SL320 for that very reason in June! Then again maybe the SLs weren't as affected like the A124s, then again they shared an engine!?

Which part of loom should I poke at to find sticker?

Cheers

P

Last edited:
Make sure you give the gearbox a good test, and that there is no slipping or missing of gears. Mine is a 96 (no loom issues), and the seals in the standard 5sp box perished, so were replaced along with the pump (at about 150k miles).

Well, I bought one. Only not that one...

1994, same mileage, everything works, but in Tanzanite with cream leather, which was the colour combination I really wanted all along. AMG bodykit too.

:bannana::bannana::bannana:

I'll take a chance on the loom; if it needs replacing at some point, so be it.

I won't be able to collect it for a few weeks, but it looks ace in the photos I've seen. I'll post some of my own in due course.

Thank you, one and all, for your responses.

Make sure you give the gearbox a good test, and that there is no slipping or missing of gears. Mine is a 96 (no loom issues), and the seals in the standard 5sp box perished, so were replaced along with the pump (at about 150k miles).

Thanks Mike. The one I now have has the old four-speeder, which I imagine was pretty well sorted by then. The five-speed might be a bit quicker off the mark, but if I feel the need for speed, I have the E55K.

Not so sure about possible loom issues on the 1996 MY from what's been said above. The 1994 certainly has had or could/will have them, but too late for me now, anyway...

1994, same mileage, everything works, but in Tanzanite with cream leather, which was the colour combination I really wanted all along. AMG bodykit too.

I won't be able to collect it for a few weeks, but it looks ace in the photos I've seen. I'll post some of my own in due course.

Excellent, congratulations! Looking forward to the photos!

Not very reassuring then when all and sundry quoting 1993-1995 then, especially as I bought an early 1996 SL320 for that very reason in June! Then again maybe the SLs weren't as affected like the A124s, then again they shared an engine!?

Which part of loom should I poke at to find sticker?

Cheers

P

On the A124's at least there is a date tag on the loom adjacent to the connector behind the battery and plastic splashguard.

I can categorically confirm Euro spec pre August 1996 A124's at least had bio wiring looms - unfortunately. After August 1996 I think you may be lucky but am not totally sure of this, some may have found their way onto the 1997 E36 AMG's for example - not sure about the 129's for cut off date....

Congrats! I love the AMG bodykit on SLs - really sets them off and pretty unusual.

Congrats from me too, especially with the AMG kit. Just one question about the colour - is tanzanite the colour described? I only ask in an eyes wide open/heads up way, and not to be pedantic, as I don't think this colour was available in 94 (can anyone confirm?), so if you don't know the seller, it may beg a question.

Date tag on my W124 500E (but has the M119 V8) is on the top left side of the engine, near the diagnostics port. If yours is the M119 it should be in the right place.

Check the label carefully as it normally has two dates, I think (and don't quote me) but if it's a Delphi and 2000 onwards it'll be a replaced unit.

To the extent you have no label you can pull away the sheath over the cables and check the condition of the wiring underneath.

Congrats from me too, especially with the AMG kit. Just one question about the colour - is tanzanite the colour described? I only ask in an eyes wide open/heads up way, and not to be pedantic, as I don't think this colour was available in 94 (can anyone confirm?), so if you don't know the seller, it may beg a question.

It looks pretty much the same as my old W210 E55, and that was in Tanzanite; the ad just said dark metallic blue. The HPI check showed it as black, so unless that's a mistake, it may have been resprayed at some point. It's now in the colour I want, though :D.

I don't know the seller, but having spoken to him, I get nothing but really good vibes. Just in case, even so, I've only part-paid for it, with the balance on collection, so if it does all go T.U. I've limited my losses at worst. I'd bet the balance that it will be OK, though.

That said, there will be SOMETHING that needs doing; there invariably is on an old car...

I wasn't trying to put the frighteners on you, and the AMG kit is good insurance either way!

MB had a few very subtle, chameleon like colours, such as blue/black which can appear as black, blue or grey, depending on the light, and can appear on databases as either colour. I'm getting excited for you!

Good luck with the car, hope everything works out. Good choice.

Thank you, gentlemen. I've just had another long conversation with the seller, initially to get the V5C ref to check the MoT history, and the more we talk, the more sure I am that he's a good 'un. As for the colour, it was recorded as change of colour to blue on the MoT test in 2008, then back to black in 2011, also at the MoT test. Do they check MoT testers' colour vision; it's definitely still blue...

I suppose if some of the tests were done after dark under sodium lighting, that might explain it, but I don't suppose I'll ever know :dk:.

It has only done 26K miles in the last nine years, but the seller spent £300 on an AA check when he got it six months ago, and nothing was flagged up. It has only done a couple of thousand miles in the last eighteen months.

I'm looking forward to collecting the car; best impulse buy I ever made, I hope - apart from the 1998 E55 that started me off in the Mercedes camp :thumb:, which is still going strong with another forum member, I'm glad to say.

Hope you're happy with your new toy, you must be very impatient to get your hands on it!!

I've been following your threads, as the 129 is a car I've always wanted to own, just not a practical option for me right now. But then by the time the kids have finally grown up, the prices will have probably shot through the roof :(

can't wait to see some pictures :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom