1996 W124 coupe Infra red issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tommyboy40

Car
R129 SL500 W124 220CE x 2 Smart 450 cabriolet. C215 CL500
Hi all, I'm having some issues with one of the w124's. It locks perfectly with the button, red light flashes as it should. It doesn't however unlock, the light goes green but it makes no effort to unlock, no pump running. Any ideas? Cheers in advance

Unplug the vacuum pump for 15 minutes to see if this might reset something. Check that all electrical connections to the pump are clean and free from corrosion.

Does turning the key in the door or boot lock have any effect on the central locking vacuum pump?

Check fuses also.

Dec

Hi Dec, thanks for the reply. The pump works perfectly if I use the key and the button on the fob locks the doors and sets the alarm. When you push the button to unlock the car, the green light flashed and the alarm is turned off but the door doesn't unlock and the pump doesnt run

Any chance of a picture of the vacuum pump and its Yellow tubes, it’s located under the rear seat inside a foam rubber box.

Dec

I'll grab one on Monday when I get it back from the painters

Bit of a thread resurrection but no closer to solving my issue. I have two key fobs, one of which is brand new. The central locking works perfectly with the key from either the passenger door lock or the boot. It locks perfectly with the remote but refuses to unlock. When you push the remote button you can hear the relay in the fuse box click and the green Led flashes but no unlocking. It has fixed itself on two occasions and worked perfectly for a day or so. Also it tends to lock and unlock itself randomly while driving, not all the time, just occasionally.

Do you have a central locking switch on the dash to lock or unlock the doors while the ignition is ON, if so will it lock and unlock the doors?

Dec

No switch on the dash Dec

On a side note, that was post 30:bannana:

It was worth your while coming back then, we all thought you were dead as it’s been so long since you were on here.

Your vacuum pump is under the rear seat, it would seem to be the problem, would you be adventuress enough to in take it apart and inspect it for damage to the Printed Circuit Board that is inside it?
Photographs would be useful.

Dec

389691d1312359661-central-locking-vacuum-problems-vacuumpump.jpg

368492d1302348495-taking-apart-vacuum-pump-vacuumpump.jpg

Well Dec the 3 weeks it wasting to take to paint the car turned into 3 months. I'll pull the pump and take it apart. I could swop the pump from the other W124 and try that too. Thanks for the help on this

This one can be marked solved. Thanks Dec for sound advice. I pulled the pump from my other W124 and swopped them over. the faulty pump was held together with a cable tie, evidence of a previous repair. I'll dismantle it when I've time and see if it can't be fixed

2015-05-04 19.34.48.jpg

2015-05-04 19.40.57.jpg

I also changed the v belt, €10 cheaper for the genuine part than a spurious one

2015-05-04 19.44.43.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom