1996 W124 E220 Coupe

Discussion in 'Engine' started by BoyracerAU, Oct 27, 2011.

1. BoyracerAU

BoyracerAU Active Member

Car:
    1985 W123 230E & 1994 R129 SL500
    Hi All,

My E220 is currently having intermittent cold starting issues.

It'll often turn over repeatedly for ten seconds or more before I give up and try again, ...and sometimes again, before it roars into life.

For what it's worth, it kicks over as soon as I turn the key for a warm start, but this is getting to be very rare for a cold start.

After reading up a bit, I replaced both the OVP and the fuel pump relay in the past week. No difference! Also in the past couple of months, there has been a new battery installed, new spark plugs, new fuel filter & pump (I think).

Tonight I removed the inlet hose and gave the inside of the throttle body and butterfly a good wipe with brake cleaner. It was pretty filthy! The car started immediately after this, but I don't know if it isn't playing with me now... :confused: I'll be more confident after I've had five consecutive good cold starts under my belt!

If anybody has any suggestions of anything I should follow up on, I'd be grateful to hear them.

2. OP
    OP
    BoyracerAU

BoyracerAU Active Member

Car:
    1985 W123 230E & 1994 R129 SL500
    As of this morning I was still plagued by cold start problems.

I dropped in to visit a couple of aircraft engineer friends who helped clean the throttle body a lot more liberally than I would've done, me not knowing how far to go with this sort of thing.

I'm now waiting patiently for my next cold start opportunity.