1996 W202 ignition lock stucked

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lars-mad

Car
1996 c180 2.0 1995 C180 AMG 1988 190e 2.3 1989 230CE with facelift
hi my car has a big problem the ignition is stucked and would not turn anymore does anyone have a solution to the problem?
i have tryed with the spare keys but still stucked had to get towed home

What worked for me when my W126 lock jammed solid was Vaseline Petroleum Jelly. It was a tip given to me by an elderly locksmith.

Dip the key in the Vaseline and then work it in and out of the lock, trying to turn the key at the same time. After about 20 mins my lock started to free up and soon after turned. It was still quite notchy at first but the more Vaseline I added to the key/lock, the more it freed up until it was compleatly free and slick.

That was well over a year ago and the ignition lock has been fine ever since.

The grease in the tumblers dries up and gets dirty. The Vaseline works it's way into the tumblers and frees them off, obviously lubricating them at the same time.

stwat - except a 202 is electronic lock, not mechanical.

My 202 lock failed one day - the tumbler thing got a bit loose, and the key refused to turn. Tightened it up with a flat screwdriver going round in circles iyswim. the lock is held into the dash with a castleted nut, and you can tighten it with a screwdriver in the slots.

mine has the mechanical lock

Okay got it unstucked but now i have to get the thumbler out so i can get a new the key is still in the car was afraid to take it out

Your key is not the problem, the fault is possibly wear inside the lock barrel as described in above link.

Dec

Not applicable to a later car with "Mechanical" type lock. T.

When I did mine, the problem never came back.

Dec

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom