1996 W210 pollen filter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matt_Bigwood

After reading various threads and having a mildly unpleasant smell in the car I thought I would replace the pollen filter on my 1996 w210 E280.

I emailed Mercedes in Bristol and was duly told they had the item in stock. I phoned them to confirm and today collected the part, BUT it doesn't look like any of the ones in the 'how tos' on this forum.

It is part number A210 830 08 18 and is labelled Dust Filter - have I got he correct filter that goes behild the glove box?

Thanks

Matt

Have you got climate control (ie a digital display for the heating controls) then the 2 pollen filters are behind the glove box

Or if you have the manual dials then the pollen filter is in the footwell, under the glove box.

I doubt the smell is down to the dust filter. It is probably bacteria in your AC system.

Go to halfords or similar and get an anti-bacterial spray and follow the instructions.

Thanks Paul

Mine hasn't got climate control so maybe it is correct,

Matt

Its at the top of the footwell then , it shouldnt take 10 mins to change.

Good idea to do them often as it also improves air flow

check out comma air con cleaner on e-bay ..i picked one up for a fiver cleans the interior system :bannana:

As an update to the original post - I changed the pollen filter, bought a can of air con cleaner and used that this afternoon and the car smelled great.

I made a 40 mile journey and when I came back to the car a couple of hours later the smell had returned. I had a quick look under the rear seat and noticed its a Unipart battery. I took a closer 'sniff' and realised that it is the battery after all that is smelling, so I will replace it.

Any recommendations? I seem to remember the local garage I have always used sells Bosch batteries.

At least the two things you did were not a waste as they can be considered as service procedures

Anoth update - I took the car to the garage and the chap looked at it, tested it etc and found that a breather pipe was missing from it - it clips into the battery and the other end pushes into a rubber grommet in the floor.

The smell is much less noticeable now!

Your very lucky this was rectified in time, should the problem have been left any later the battery could have exploded causing a nasty mess as happened to a member (I think KillerHERTZ) from here, I think he may have some pictures of the mess !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom