1997 c250 TD

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markashtonb

Car
w210 E320 CDI Estate
I need to get a 2nd car which will need to cover approx 300 motorway miles per week and have recently been offered a 1997 c250 TD Elegance Saloon with 82K, only 2 owners from new & full MSB Service history for around 2000 gbp. Sounds reasonable to me but before making the jump am interested in finding out:

• what other c250 TD owners are getting as av mpg?
  • if there are any common faults I should look for?
  • any other models I should consider in this price range?

Any help and advice will be gratefully received!

Cheers

markastonb

As long as it's not rusty and any obvious serious running faults, you can't go wrong with a 250TD.

Hi Mark

We had a 1998 250td auto and easy getting 37 mph in town I do have a light foot But they are a nice car. sold ors for £1200 with new mot

Sounds a bit pricey otherwise, what Dieselman said.

I agree, I've been driving mine from 1999, get 38 - 39 MPG mixed driving, apart from rust I feel its a much better car than our '04 E320.

Cheers##:)

I usually get 40+MPG on the motorway. I’ve never had any serious problems with mine. A w210 e300td would be in the same price range.

mate of mine has bought 3 of these recently, hasnt paid more than £750 for any of them. Not perfect of course but all honest cars

mate of mine has bought 3 of these recently, hasnt paid more than £750 for any of them. Not perfect of course but all honest cars

Which is more than you get from some people... ;)

I had an auto estate, and got low 30s, no matter how I drove it.

Air con didn't work
Was a bit rusty
Drivers seat reclined slowly on its own
Turbo manifold seals go regularly, but are cheap to replace.
But a comfortable reliable cruiser.

I did 200k and engine and box were still good.

You can also run them on waste veg oil. I tried it and it ran fine, but only did it a couple of times. I read that the rubber seals might be affected.

I have a 1999 C250TD & have put 18,000 miles on it since I bought it in February.

Faults?
Window wiper linkage greased as the wiper action had become very lumpy!! This is a common issue but is easily & cheaply sorted.

Pollen filter changed as heater blower was not blowing. Again, a cheap, easy fix. Heater & air con systems now working fine.

MPG?
Worse than expected. I tend to get 35 - 37mpg overall. The vast mojority of miles are on the motorway. I do like to crack on a bit but the mpg doesn't really seem to alter if I slow down.

Overall?
A cracking car. Cheap to buy with reasonable running & maintenance costs. New & second hand parts are readily available at reasonable cost.It does require TLC to keep the rust at bay! It's worth shopping around & buying the best car you can find with a full service history & caring previous owner(s).

Bullet proof engine but not especially economical is the way I would sum up the 250TD compared to the 220CDi engine.

£2k is a fair price for a low mileage 250TD....they always go for decent money at auction and one with good bodywork and with this mileage, service history and low No of owners would still go for £1500+ and would have Traders falling over themselves for it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom