1997 C280 Heater Blower Fan intermittently working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Deltabluesman

Car
2002 Mercedes C180 Classic
Hi I have just recently bought myself a lovely C280 Elegance which drives sweetly and pretty quickly too.
Alas I have noticed the blower does not always work and especially last evening on road home from work in wintry conditions the blower did not work and I was pretty cold.
The blower had been working pretty much on high speed but sitting in heavy traffic over a few days it started to cut out. My car does not have AC or Climate control.
Is this a common fault?
Can someone please advise on how to rectify?

It could be the blower motor's bushes. A replacement motor will set you back £100+. Replacement bushes (available on eBay) will set you back about a tenner but you'll have to supply the soldering iron and skill yourself.

Or, and I seem to be the only person who's ever had this problem, it could be dirty contacts at the back of the control panel.

BTW, how many miles has it done?

^ ^
+1, and welcome to the forum.

Hi Nasco 12 thank you for the advice :thumb:....I pulled the blower out and lo and behold you were spot on....the bushes were well and truly worn. Your help is much appreciated.
I have ordered a set on Ebay but I also went to a local breakers and bought a second hand blower for £20 c/w resistors etc and it works perfect.
I will replace the bushes in the old one when they are delivered so I will have a spare motor with new bushes!
My car has done 157k miles but is as sweet as a nut, and I am very surprised at the rapid acceleration when using the kick down....I will need to be very careful as points could come so easily with this.
Thank you once again for the information. Happy Mercedes motoring.
Thank you MartyZ for the welcome, much appreciated

ps I will post some pics of the Merc when I get a chance.
I am just about to valet her to my standard.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom