1997 W202 C230 Will not start

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Dec
Wel i went there and i couldnt find it, the store is quite clean, there is a big chance that the store has already vacuumed it up themselves....
well thank you very much for your help, now im 95% sure that was the only issue why it wont start, so ill solve this issue as fixed.
now ill just have to do my homework on how to disable that immobilizer as there is no way im going to spend 200+CAD just for me to start my car.
once again, thanks to all of you that have helped me here, and a special thanks to Dec for sticking around helping me solve my issue :)

A car that has a chip in the fob has a device around the ignition , its called a transponder coil, you can see one, similar to yours, about ¾ way down this page here… Bert Rowe's-A-class info. Hazard warning, car keys, re-synchronizing remote keys, Central locking.

ignition%20switch%20and%20transponder%20ring%202.JPG

Without this chip you wont be able to bypass the immobiliser, you may have no choice but to buy a replacement key from a Mercedes dealer unless someone here knows of another solution.

Just to clarify, the car was starting ok until the key fob was opened and dropped in the store?

Dec

Edit, If the store did vacuum the floor then there is a very good chance it is inside the vacuum cleaner or its vacuum cleaner bag.
Large stores are often vacuumed as opposed to sweeping, might be worth contacting whoever is the cleaner in that store.

Last edited:
Dec
Just out of curiosity... we have determined that i dont have the transponder to the fob
so why isnt the red/green lights not flashing when i try to start the car?

That’s what I’m not so sure about now, up to about January 1996 there were no chips inside the key, unlocking the car, with the remote fob, disabled the immobiliser so the car would start.
If the remote fob failed for some reason then the car would not unlock and so if it didn’t unlock then the immobiliser would not disarm and so the car would not start and the Red and Green LEDs would flash ALTERNATLEY to show that the immobiliser was not disarmed.

After January 1996 the chip and the coil around the ignition was introduced, so, as in your case, no chip – no start… what I’m not sure about, is whether the Red and Green LEDs in the mirror should still flash if the chip is missing as we think it is in your case.

Remove the coil, it seems to just “slot in”, as illustrated in my last link… if you do indeed have a coil then you must have or did have a chip in your key. Like you, I’m 95% certain it’s the missing chip but just to be sure check it out.

Dec

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom