1998 C180 W202 Reviving advise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beeso

Car
1998 C180 Classic
Dear Forum Family,

I've a 1998 C180 W202 and i just love it

i'm thinking of reviving and refreshing it,there's a local store which steam cleans the interior and polish the exterior to give it a glossy finish

i'm going to go for that but needed your advise :

how can i revive the performance, what can i add to it to give it more power? :rock:

how can i revive the performance, what can i add to it to give it more power? :rock:

Engine rebuild?

More power than standard will require fitting a turbo either by fabricating a manifold or by buying one from someone like Mosselman. If you want the challenge then have a go, lots of the boys in America have done this. If however you dont fancy the hassle and expense then trade it in for a more powerful model.

Not much you can do with a 180 apart from engine transplant

Not worth it unless you want major hassle. Besides W202s are really cheap these days so insurance wise is a no brainer.

Thanks a lot CKLclive and NW_Merc for your advise :thumb:

i think i'm gonna stay on the safe side and leave it as it is :D i like it anyway so no worries.

any guaranteed ways to make the car look younger, sexier? :devil:

what i've done so far's that i changed the headlight bulbs to day light bulbs and i want to continue working on the car and personalizing it.

Thanks a lot CKLclive and NW_Merc for your advise :thumb:

i think i'm gonna stay on the safe side and leave it as it is :D i like it anyway so no worries.

any guaranteed ways to make the car look younger, sexier? :devil:

what i've done so far's that i changed the headlight bulbs to day light bulbs and i want to continue working on the car and personalizing it.

Sounds like you are going the right way about it. Nothing too major, correct alloys on it - if it does not have them and just keep it super clean and polished.

Rules of W202 ownership:

1. You dont talk about W202 ownership except to other W202 owners (I'm kidding, it was supposed to give a Fight Club type feel but probably failed)

2. NO and I cannot reiterate enough, NO big star type grilles unless you are a fee paying member of NDUbz or a rapper in the making

3. Do mod your car with new and innovative ideas

4. Ask fellow modders for ideas if you run out of your own or require advice on ones you are currently doing

5. Enjoy your car making sure to keep an eye on rust spots (they will be prevalent) and treat them sooner rather than later

6. Take part in local get togethers (GTGs) to show off your motor and the latest mods you have done (if any)

7. Be advised that once you start modding your car it will be an addiction. Side effects include trawling the classifieds on this forum and ebay and then justifying your purchases to lay people such as partners, wifes and girlfriends. Please take note: THERE IS NO CURE FOR THIS ADDICTION.

8. The majority of your modifications (if you choose to make any) are available with regards to parts on ebay both uk (ebay.co.uk) and germany (ebay.de) Sometimes relevant parts come up in the classified section

9. Large chrome items are sold on ebay such as arch covers and headlight surrounds. I wouldnt put these items on your car as it will make it look gawdy, see similar to note 2.

10. You will never be able to justify to anyone spending any money on modifications to anyone, whether it be friends or family. Only fellow modders will understand and appreciate the modifications no matter how slight you have done to your car.

Sounds like you are going the right way about it. Nothing too major, correct alloys on it - if it does not have them and just keep it super clean and polished.

Thanks John, i forgot to mention earlier it has Mercedes Benz Alloys :thumb:

Rules of W202 ownership:

1. You dont talk about W202 ownership except to other W202 owners (I'm kidding, it was supposed to give a Fight Club type feel but probably failed)

2. NO and I cannot reiterate enough, NO big star type grilles unless you are a fee paying member of NDUbz or a rapper in the making

3. Do mod your car with new and innovative ideas

4. Ask fellow modders for ideas if you run out of your own or require advice on ones you are currently doing

5. Enjoy your car making sure to keep an eye on rust spots (they will be prevalent) and treat them sooner rather than later

6. Take part in local get togethers (GTGs) to show off your motor and the latest mods you have done (if any)

7. Be advised that once you start modding your car it will be an addiction. Side effects include trawling the classifieds on this forum and ebay and then justifying your purchases to lay people such as partners, wifes and girlfriends. Please take note: THERE IS NO CURE FOR THIS ADDICTION.

8. The majority of your modifications (if you choose to make any) are available with regards to parts on ebay both uk (ebay.co.uk) and germany (ebay.de) Sometimes relevant parts come up in the classified section

9. Large chrome items are sold on ebay such as arch covers and headlight surrounds. I wouldnt put these items on your car as it will make it look gawdy, see similar to note 2.

10. You will never be able to justify to anyone spending any money on modifications to anyone, whether it be friends or family. Only fellow modders will understand and appreciate the modifications no matter how slight you have done to your car.

Mate, i don't know what to tell u ;) very well said and explained, hmm..guess i'll start with the interior steaming and exterior polishing and see where that'll lead me :D

Dear All,

i know i've been away for a while, been busy with work and also did some work to Revive my Baby :D

Here's what i did and now it started to look more personalized :
1 - I changed the stocked 15'' wheels to 17 AMG wheels :)
2 - i Steam cleaned the interior, the carpet and upholstery feels like new now
3 - Applied (Armor All) polish to the dash
4 - took her to the car wash and applied some polish outside

it may not seem to be an extra ordinary work but it really feels so much better now and i love her more everyday :rock:

Any photos?

Do you mean wax or do you mean polish?

If you really want it to shine I would recommend washing it (could be just with water) then applying Autoglym HD cleanser to remove all dirt, then claybar-ing it (Autoglym Clay bar kit), then applying Bilt-Hamber Cleanser-Polish all over then applying Autoglym HD wax (2 coats). The wax is pricy but believe you me you get what you pay for (and even more!). That's just what I'd do, but I push this routine because on my W140 it completely changed the colour - it was a faded green and this brought it back to its original colour and the paintwork's much smoother, deeper and sinier!

Oh, and try using Autoglym Glass Polish on the windows to clean them and make them shine. No need to wash them first - literally apply to a cloth and wipe the dirt off, then buff the polish off.

After all that you should be left with a much shinier car. You could go a bit OCD and clay-bar the headlamp covers and the windscreen. Claybaring picks up all these tinybits of embedded dirt which are often on the bonnet and front bumper but can also be in the headlamp covers and windscreen.

It is a once-in-a-while treatment, but not hard. My car's huge, I only have on street parking in the centre of London and no hose out front, but I still manage!

Lastly, I believe there are things out there that can polish up the chrome on your car quite well, that can make a car shine!

Thanks so much Neilz for the advise :thumb:

this was my first time to do something like that so i wanted to play it safe, i took her to an ordinary hand wash and polish service "those ones u find in petrol stations", and the boys there did a very good job to be honest .

but definitely 'll follow your procedure next time, and i'll be posting pics of the car with the new rims soon :)

Shameless plug, but have a look at my cars gallery, pretty much everything you can do with a W202 (TM)

HERE

30 mods and more on the way!

Some inspiration from my own CLK update and replace programme...

Sand and restore Headlights
Replace H7 bulbs with Philips Extreme 100%
Check all brakes and repaint calipers in Hammerite smooth silver
Clean and Restore orion grey leather + steering wheel with gliptone products – excellent results
Fit white LED Canbus number plate lights
Silver indicator bulbs front and rear
Clean engine bay thoroughly
Replace door speaker and tweeter – both blown
Repair passenger heated mirror – loose/corroded connection
Replace all interior bulbs with white LED bulbs
Replace Cabin filter
Remove and clean engine cover
Fit chrome vent rings
Fit SLK style beige/white heater controls
AMG 17" Staggered Monoblocks fitted
Rear View Auto Dimming mirror from W210 installed
LED Puddlelights fitted

Full clay, machine polish paint correction etc to be done soon

All reasonably cheap to do if you use scarpyard parts and your own handywork. Once the AMG's are refurbed and the paint correction is done (it looks mint but the tiny swirls and scratches really annoy me) the car will be finished. (famous last words :) )

Look forward to finish article! Make sure you post up your pictures from your paint correction. What colour is it? To the guy above!

Its bright red (magma I think). I have gone with Scholl S17+, Scholl purple and orange pads and some Clearkote - Red Moose Machine Glaze. I will put a layer of EGP between the Scholl and the glaze and on a red car this ought to look amazing. Was looking to do this on Saturday but with temps of 2 degrees I may have to wait until it gets warmer. Will try and get some good before and after shots.

Like this but without the questionable :) chrome headlight surrounds...

Attachments

• clk208magma.jpg
    clk208magma.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 49
Orange pad is a good combo. Try a scholl concept blue pad as it may work to better effect, due to hard laquer. Red moose is my favourite glaze of all time for red cars. It looks superb, good choice:)

I dont have the blue pad so I will see how I get on with the orange - its good advice though as the Merc clear coat is notoriously hard.
I am still undecided on FK1000p or Colli 476s to finish with. They both have similar characteristics so its a hard choice - any views on the individual merits of these?

Coli is more refined but either will do the job of long term durability;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom