1998 C240 door corrosion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lordofthenazgul

Car
C240 ESPRIT, 1998
Well guys...you will never believe it but I mentioned some corrosion on the passenger door of my car to my local dealer ( it is located just above the protective film that they put on the bottom of the doors)
He thinks I may have a warranty claim!, yep thats right he did say this!
They have a bodywork expert who will need to see the car first, but it looks like I've cleared the first hurdle..hurrah!

Which stealers was this, seems like there are a few good ones up here.

lordofthenazgul said:
Hi Ian
M-B of Warrington, Farrell Street

Hope all goes well, but if not may be worth giving Blackpool MB a go.

I've seriously got come up your way to see a sealer!

lordofthenazgul said:
He thinks I may have a warranty claim!, yep thats right he did say this!
They have a bodywork expert who will need to see the car first, but it looks like I've cleared the first hurdle..hurrah!
Great stuff! :bannana: :bannana: Good luck for getting this sorted under warranty. The bodywork expert will measure the paint thickness to ensure that there have been no previous resprays, if your paint is original then you should be okay. :D

Mine's currently in for warranty work on minor rust break outs on the boot lid.

S.

lordofthenazgul said:
Taking it in tonight, everything is crossed so I'll keep you posted

AAARGH! FAILED.

The guys paint thickness monitor gadget measured a thickness of 200 microns vs. 90 when it left the factory, so no warranty claim.
Good new is that it shouldnt cost too much to effect a repair
He reckons the lower half of the door has been resprayed to repair a scratch or stone chips. :mad:

lordofthenazgul said:
AAARGH! FAILED.

The guys paint thickness monitor gadget measured a thickness of 200 microns vs. 90 when it left the factory, so no warranty claim.
Good new is that it shouldnt cost too much to effect a repair
He reckons the lower half of the door has been resprayed to repair a scratch or stone chips. :mad:

Sorry to hear that - did u go to the dealer's own body shop or was it one of their approved shops ?

Did the bodyshop guy measure the thickness of the paint on the entire car or jus the effected area ?

Flash

Flash said:
Sorry to hear that - did u go to the dealer's own body shop or was it one of their approved shops ?

Did the bodyshop guy measure the thickness of the paint on the entire car or jus the effected area ?

Flash

Hi

MB of Warrington dont have their own body shop but they are part of the road range group.
The guy who came & inspected the car was from the road range body shop in Chester
He tested the affected area with his meter initially, then after explaining why I couldnt make a warranty claim checked the whole car over out of interest.
He found a few more areas that had been resprayed.
Roof, boot, centre of bonnet.
Looks like any more rust and I'll be paying out of my own pocket rather than wasting time asking @ the dealership!
At least I have his business card now for future reference.
Bit worrying though seeing the amount of panels that have been resprayed, makes me wonder if I've bought a dud.
Typical that the AA pre-inspection didnt pick this up though :mad:

:( what a disappointment. Have you any come back on the AA if they did a pre-inspection examination, or even the seller, if they didn't declare any bumps etc?

pammy said:
:( what a disappointment. Have you any come back on the AA if they did a pre-inspection examination, or even the seller, if they didn't declare any bumps etc?

Not sure Pammy, the AA probably have some get-out b*llsh*t somewhere on the paperwork that they can point to.

I bought the car from carcraft, they showed me the HPI datacheck paperwork for the car, no info on there about smashes, but that probably only flags up if the car is a write off!.

ho hum

lordofthenazgul said:
Not sure Pammy, the AA probably have some get-out b*llsh*t somewhere on the paperwork that they can point to.

I bought the car from carcraft, they showed me the HPI datacheck paperwork for the car, no info on there about smashes, but that probably only flags up if the car is a write off!.

ho hum

Got to be worth a trip up to MB Blackpool, they never came near mine with anything like a meter, just took photos and did the work.

lordofthenazgul said:
Hi

MB of Warrington dont have their own body shop but they are part of the road range group.
The guy who came & inspected the car was from the road range body shop in Chester
He tested the affected area with his meter initially, then after explaining why I couldnt make a warranty claim checked the whole car over out of interest.
He found a few more areas that had been resprayed.
Roof, boot, centre of bonnet.
Looks like any more rust and I'll be paying out of my own pocket rather than wasting time asking @ the dealership!
At least I have his business card now for future reference.
Bit worrying though seeing the amount of panels that have been resprayed, makes me wonder if I've bought a dud.
Typical that the AA pre-inspection didnt pick this up though :mad:

If its any consolation then the repray jobs must have been done professionally to a high standard for yourself and AA not to be able to tell from looking at it physically – if centre of the bonnet has been partially resprayed its probably chips away job… as bodyshops tend to respray the entire panel…

What colour is ur car in ?

When ur claim was rejected did the bodyshop guy make note the full details/findings etc. ? – it would not hurt to try ur luck with another dealer… and see if u can get any joy…

I don’t understand why some bodyshops/people are soo awkward – even if they were to authorise the claim it is unlikely that MB would find out and the bodyshop would also get the extra business… and you’d be happy too - what t*ssers…

Flash

Flash said:
If its any consolation then the repray jobs must have been done professionally to a high standard for yourself and AA not to be able to tell from looking at it physically – if centre of the bonnet has been partially resprayed its probably chips away job… as bodyshops tend to respray the entire panel…

What colour is ur car in ?

When ur claim was rejected did the bodyshop guy make note the full details/findings etc. ? – it would not hurt to try ur luck with another dealer… and see if u can get any joy…

I don’t understand why some bodyshops/people are soo awkward – even if they were to authorise the claim it is unlikely that MB would find out and the bodyshop would also get the extra business… and you’d be happy too - what t*ssers…

Flash

Hi

He didnt make full note of the other resprayed panels so the info probably wont find its way onto their history database, he was just giving examples of paint thickness around the car body to show the difference between resprayed panels and untouched.

My C240 is in Azurite Blue, DEFINITELY NO SILVER CAR FOR ME!

I'd like to think that if I take it to another dealer (and Blackpool seems the most likely seeing as most of my surrounding dealers are in the road range group) then they wont put a meter near it like LotusMk2 states, but it will have been a long, wasted trip if they do!!
Wonder if they would respray it in a colour of my choice? (as long as it isnt silver) ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom