1998 C250 TD Auto Problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John Rodgers

Car
1992 190D 2.5. 1998C250TD and 1993 w124 300d estate
Hello,Can anyone help me?Sometimes usually between 30/50mph it is a bit erratic-either racey or sluggish. I have checked for dirty fuel and feel it is not a fuel problem. Anyone have any similiar trouble with their 5 speed automatic gearbox?Hoping someone can help me.Thanks John

Can you be more specific. If you mean that sometimes the car behaves normally and sometimes it is lacking in power it couold well be the MAF sensor going.

Thank you for your reply
Yes sometimes the car drives 100% and sometimes not,also with cruise on at 80 the drag is more noticable
hoping to hear from you again
John

If it were mine I would change the fuel filter, from my experience diesel engines suffer greatly from dirty filters. If the car has been MB serviced it is doubtful that it has been changed recently.

When I bought my car it had just been so called serviced but the air and fuel filters were not new.

Thank you for your advice I agree with you about stealer servicing
I have changed air ,fuel and also prefuel filter,but still convinced it is not afuel problem.
Johnr

Dear dieselman,
It has been mentioned about the MAF sensor before, could you point me in the right direction as to where it is.
thanks john

The MAF is located in the air intake trunking just after the air filter.

A bit like this.

Turbo.jpg

The electrical connection in the foreground is the MAF.

Thank you dieselman I have found the sensor,one more thing is it normal for the inside off the ducting to be coated in thick black oil like tar

Originally posted by John Rodgers
Thank you dieselman I have found the sensor,one more thing is it normal for the inside off the ducting to be coated in thick black oil like tar

:eek: It would seem so on the C250TD, I had quite a shock when I saw the inside of my induction pipes: http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2929&highlight=intercooler

Don't worry, it is normal on alot of turbo diesel cars that have EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) systems.

I spent a whole day taking mine aprart and cleaning it all out. I have since done about 2000 miles and there is a very small amount of oil film in the pipes again. The engine oil never needs topping up, so I dont think it is anything to worry about.

In a way I am glad yours is the same as it has made me less worried about mine.

As for your others problems, it's not something simple like the parking brake sticking or a sticky caliper. Try applying and releasing the parking brake several times and drive a 50 metres or so slowly with the parking break slightly on to clean the shoes and drums. Parking brake problems are common on auto as it hardly ever gets used and are prone to the cables and mechanism seizing.

Also, after a motorway drive with little braking, get out and feel each wheel, if one is warmer/hotter than the others you have a sticking caliper or binding parking brake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom