1998 C280 tranny oil pipe replace - easy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

1998c280estate

Hi all. Advice needed for my 1998 C280 Estate/stationwagen/break, r/h drive, auto box, petrol (owned for 16 happy years and counting).

I need to replace the corroded solid thin gearbox/transmission oil pipe which runs down from the top of the oil cooler beside the radiator (on the R/H side of the car viewed from inside the car), then turns at right angle to run across the front of the car behind the bumper/fender under the rad (this is where it's corroded) before connecting to a flexy rubber pipe (with metal spiral protector) which then joins back to solid pipe to run alongside the engine to the gearbox/transmission (on the L/H side of the engine when viewed from inside the car). I've ordered both the solid and the flexible pipes in case I damage the latter getting the former off (had to be ordered from Germany!).

It looks like a straightforward job (apart from rusty retaining clip), but are there potential problems I might face? Is access to the retaining clip straightforward (remove radiator cowl? easy? anything else to remove?). Is the oil under pressure? Will a lot leak out? If so, can the gearbox/transmission oil be topped up (is it "sealed for life")? Is there a risk of air getting into the system and causing an airlock? Should the gears be in "Neutral" rather than Park? Any problems I might discover too late to be able to drive the car to the garage/shop?

Any advice and suggestions gratefully received!

Many thanks!
Cheers,
John (London, UK)

You won't lose to much fluid, might want to top it up a bit, the only problem the you might encounter is when you come to remove the union from the radiator, 9 times out of 10 it will snap meaning new radiator, lots and lots of wd40 and a wire brushing may help.

Thanks A-M, I've just gone and soaked it in WD40 as you suggest. A new rad is not on my shopping list...
Cheers
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom