1998 E300 td estate how to bleed rear shocks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

w.oody

I have a 1998 E300 td estate with the self adjusting rear shock absorbers . I topped up the power steering tank with oil supplied by German Swedish French after being told it was correct , but after a little while the shocks did not work and i got a pair off a scrap car , but when I started dismanteling the old ones they seemed to be full of foamed oil . I did replace one shocker but the suspension on both side is nearly bottomed out I was wondering if I was given the wrong oil and does anyone know how to bleed out all the old oil and replace with the proper stuff ,Incidently the power steering seems to be working fine Regards Woody of Poole

On the actuating valve for the rear suspension there is a bleed nipple on the top of it. Undo the link bar from the Anti Roll Bar, slacked the bleed nipple. Place a couple of hundred weight in the boot of the car then start the engine (wheels and weight should be on the road or suitable stands. I use a couple of I Beams). Slacken the bleed nipple and move the bar up and down till no foaming of oil is noticeable.

wow quick reply. thanks for that Ian , do you know what oil I should be using and is it a mercedes own oil or is there an oem equivilent ?

I have a 1998 E300 td estate with the self adjusting rear shock absorbers . I topped up the power steering tank with oil supplied by German Swedish French after being told it was correct , but after a little while the shocks did not work and i got a pair off a scrap car , but when I started dismanteling the old ones they seemed to be full of foamed oil . I did replace one shocker but the suspension on both side is nearly bottomed out I was wondering if I was given the wrong oil and does anyone know how to bleed out all the old oil and replace with the proper stuff ,Incidently the power steering seems to be working fine Regards Woody of Poole

What fluid did you put in?

sorry had to go to work , I cant find it now but could you reccomend one or should i just bite the bullet and go to mercedes ouch?

The foaming is probably due to the nitrogen leaking into the oil from the spheres, which may be ruptured.

As Ian says, just manipulate the ride height linkage to force oil into the rams and back to the reservoir.

thanks to you both I will try this tomorrow and wil let you know how i get on

great result all is working well , its nice to go down the road with out bottoming out ,BIG THANKS , Woody

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom