1998 Vito v230 overheating....

Discussion in 'Engine' started by Sialkot, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Sialkot

Sialkot New Member

Car:
    S280 - 1998
    Hello all,

Hope you can help - have a vito 1998 v230 petrol. Only had it a couple of days - having purchased it from Northampton drove it down to London no problems, once I hit London traffic, the engine temp gauge started heading north towards the 120 mark. When moving again, temp comes down to 85 90 - but creeps up at a traffic stop.

Noticed the fan doesn't kick in, not even at the 100 degree mark - haven't the bottle to do the 'who blinks first' test.

Took it to a handy mate of mine and he directly wired to rad fan to a battery. It did not work....suggested I get a rad fan from a breakers.

Haven't got a huge amount to spend, so would appreciate some sound advice on whether this would be the right thing to do ?:dk:

I have an obd2 scanner - but can't find the obd2 port. Does it have one ? As this may be a good starting point for free - have discovered the mercedes plug / diagnostic plug in under the front passenger seat.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

N

2. OP
    OP
    Sialkot

Sialkot New Member

Car:
    S280 - 1998
    Forgot to mention - internal heater blows hot and cold as required, and when on hot, the engine temp does come down. Not sure if this means anything:dk:

3. Giantvanman

Giantvanman MB Enthusiast

Car:
    FFRR 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography
    When the heater is on, it is removing some of the heat from the engine.
    I would normally head straight for the thermostat with any sort of overheating. BUT, given the fan won't work even when given direct power means it's knackered. Whether or not a replacement unit from a breakers is a good idea is up to you…..it will come from a similarly aged vehicle after all.
    If a new fan unit (about £170) is too steep, I don't know if Pacet or Kenlowe are cheaper. There are also a number of universal fitment fans on Ebay (search mercedes vito cooling fan) but can't vouch for them.

This will give locations of OBD if fitted http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/electronics/95036-obd-2-location.html

4. Danny DeVito

Danny DeVito Active Member

Car:
    V220 CDI
    replace the rad fan for sure. direct power and no budge ! get it OUT ! As for obd. theres only one u may see its like a scart cable shape ? You will need a adaptor. I'm not sure if its supports all obd2 but codes etc should be readable with the right cable