1998 W210 E-class 300TD - trans fluid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AANDYY

Car
E300DT-W210-1997-Elegance-Azurite Metalic Blue. (Don't mention the rust, LOL) Running on WVO. 65k m
How much should I expect to pay for this?
Im compotant to do most car DIY stuff, I read it's not just a case of drop the old stuff and then renew?

Thank you please!

It is not hard - but helps a huge amount if you have access to a pit or ramp - you need to remove the sump to change the filter and also need to drain the torque converter. This makes it very hard lying on your back with the car on axle stands. Re-filling needs to be done carefully making sure not to over-fill. If you are competent and methodical and have access to ramp then DIY - if not get a decent indi to do it.
Have a look at the colour of the current fluid - if it is a nice clear red then fine - if it any different - like it looks like clean engine oil then the urgency to change is greater. Worth getting done - will make changes smoother and extend the life of the box.

It is not hard - but helps a huge amount if you have access to a pit or ramp - you need to remove the sump to change the filter and also need to drain the torque converter. This makes it very hard lying on your back with the car on axle stands. Re-filling needs to be done carefully making sure not to over-fill. If you are competent and methodical and have access to ramp then DIY - if not get a decent indi to do it.
Have a look at the colour of the current fluid - if it is a nice clear red then fine - if it any different - like it looks like clean engine oil then the urgency to change is greater. Worth getting done - will make changes smoother and extend the life of the box.

Ta for that.
I only have the standard car ramps, was thinking of adapting them to give more lift! :eek:
My friend has a Mustang so we could share them.
How much is the trans fluid?

Cant remember - the MB stuff is pricey - I was recommended Mobil ATF220 by a good indi - I think it was about £5 a litre but I am guessing. Seems to be working well.

Cant remember - the MB stuff is pricey - I was recommended Mobil ATF220 by a good indi - I think it was about £5 a litre but I am guessing. Seems to be working well.

How many litres would i need?

There is a how-to in the how to section of this forum on the exact same car as yours.

Cost would be approx £90 for the genuine merc fluid & filter.

7.5. Use MB stuff or definative equivelant.

It's easy to do. raise car, turn torque converter to get drain plug facing down, drain 'verter and put plug back in. Drian gearbox sump then remove sump pan and filter. Replace with new filter and sump gasket, refit sump and drain plug. Fill with 6 litres of fluid and start up.
Check level, take for drive, then recheck level and fill up fully.

Ta for that.
I only have the standard car ramps, was thinking of adapting them to give more lift! :eek:
My friend has a Mustang so we could share them.
How much is the trans fluid?

standard car ramps are fine. Drive up onto ramps, drain sump plug and torque converter and then remove sump, allow to drain more for say 30 mins and then fit new filter. Put pan back on & plug (maybe with a new gasket) - refit TC plug. Fill up with 4 litres. Start car up and reverse off the ramps.

Fill up a bit more.

Get the car nice and warm, and then finally top up to correct level @ 80deg

hope this helps - see the how to.

Your torque converter may not have a drain bung. Some of that year did not.

If you don't have on there is a process to pump the fluid out of theTC.

There is a how-to in the how to section of this forum on the exact same car as yours.

Cost would be approx £90 for the genuine merc fluid & filter.

Hmmmm, strange:( . As i did a search and couldn't find anything, I always search 1st before asking.
Anyhow thanks for the quick help and I don't even have the car yet, lol but it's always good to be edjucated.

Your torque converter may not have a drain bung. Some of that year did not.

If you don't have on there is a process to pump the fluid out of theTC.

I thought all 300TD have TC drain plugs, it's other engine variants that suffered deletion.

I don't think all of them do. Same with the C250TD's too.

OK, I've read all the How to and the original post, head hurts a little now :crazy:
I can manage that job I reckon.
Just not to keen on droping the sump pan but there ya go you have to!
What are the tork settings for the sump pan bolts?

OK, I've read all the How to and the original post, head hurts a little now :crazy:
I can manage that job I reckon.
Just not to keen on droping the sump pan but there ya go you have to!
What are the tork settings for the sump pan bolts?

Just nip them up a little - on your 210 it should have bolts that cannot warp the pan (maybe) but on my 124 it doesnt. i tightened them up too much and warped it.

just nip them up so the gasket just seals. i did this on my new pan and not had any problems - didnt have a torque wrench at the time.

i think there is a torque value somewhere but i cant remember it at the moment. Its hardly anything though

whoops double post!! Blame the Ukraine internet connection:D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom