1998 W210 E55 AMG Estate For Sale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E55BOF

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLS63 SB, SLK55, CLK350 'Vert, Triumph Sprint (Bike not Dolly...),
I need to sell my 1998 E55 AMG estate, which I bought in March 2013, because I’ve bought an E55K.

It is in Tanzanite Blue metallic, but you will need to see pictures to see how it looks. It won't look that good when it's sold, because I took the exterior pictures just after the illegal immigrants at the supermarket car wash had done their stuff, but yes, it is very shiny when washed and polished!

What about the rust? I hear you ask. You won't find any rust bubbles around the wheel arches, or anywhere else for that matter, because it has had a fair amount of respraying at some point, and the front wings have been renewed. It can be jacked up with nary a creak or groan using the OE jack at all four jacking points. There was significant (but not ruinous) rust in the front cross-member between the wheels, so I slathered it with waterproof grease when I de-rusted and repainted the undertray. There is some rust under the door seal rubbers; nothing Waxoyl wouldn’t sort out for the moment. There is a small patch of rust where underseal has peeled on the underside of the box-section inboard of the rear of the RHF wheel arch, and some brackets in the engine bay have surface rust, but that’s about it.

A mass of receipts came with the car, though the service history was patchy, and MoT records support the mileage. I managed to establish that it had all four springs, the rear shockers, the bottom ball joints, the front discs, and the front lower wishbones replaced between 76K miles and the 106K on it when I bought it.

What have I done since? Oil & filter change on 25/6/13 (Mobil 1 0W40) at about 108K miles. New plugs on 13/7/13. Transmission fluid (Febi ATF134) & filter change on 12/09/13. New aircon condenser and clutch on 07/09/13 at Vanchilla in Maidenhead. New fuel pump on 04/03/14. (I did all except the aircon myself). A new Febi aircon receiver/dryer comes with the car – when the condenser was done, the guy at Vanchilla said it didn’t look too good, so I bought a new one in readiness. The old one is still hanging in there, and the aircon still blows icy cold.

What’s wrong with it? Well, the front bumper needs a respray – stone chips. The RHF parking sensors are U/S. There is a stone chip on the windscreen. The rear wheel cover (LHS in load area) rattles – the catch is loose. There is a small cluster of screwdriver-ish punctures in the load area carpet, but it comes with a load area rubber tray anyway, so you may not be too bothered. The bodywork has the odd supermarket car park mark or scuff, and there are touched-in scuffs/scratches on three of the four bumper corners. but that’s about it.

What's bad? It has no COMAND, and no sunroof.

What's good? Well, for a start, it's not a heap of rust. It has pretty low mileage for its sixteen years. It's not a heap of rust. It has an Audio 10, in full working order, with a 6-CD changer in the rear. It has proper AMG 18 in. monoblocs, including a full-size (front) spare wheel; all five tyres have a minimum of 5 mm of tread. It's not a heap of rust. Bar what is mentioned above, everything works, including all the electrics. There is no AMG badging on the tailgate, which means that at a casual glance it is just another anonymous old Mercedes estate - until the lights change... As you would expect, it has masses of creamy-smooth torque, and shifts rather well if you use the throttle. It's a nice place to be.

Did I mention that it's not a heap of rust?

If you want a mint example, look elsewhere. It’s a good honest car, in sound condition, with lots of miles left in it. If you’re interested, PM me and I’ll send you the build sheet.

The MoT runs out in December, and the tax at the end of August. I’m happy to take prospective buyers out in it, but if you want to test drive it yourself, I shall need the asking price in my hand in cash and proof of insurance, and if you bend it, you bought it.

What's it worth? Well, I need it off my drive, and I'd like £2000 for it.

I can't seem to sort out how to add images to this post, and it's way past bedtime for an OAP like me, but I can email pictures if you wish. When I do, ignore the small spots on the interior pictures; there were rain spots on the lens! (I'll try to take some better interior shots in full daylight).

The car is in Wooburn Moor, near Beaconsfield; about half a mile from Junction 3 of the M40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom