1999 W210 E200CDI 2.2L

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RCurado

Car
1999 Mercede E-Class w210 2.2 Diesel CDI
315000km, 1999 w210 E200 CDI, 2.2L, 6 Speed Manual.
Hello,
So, about a month ago while i was driving, i felt a momentary lack of power, max 2 seconds, and after that on the car display it appeared the EPC warning light, visit workshop and stuff. The big problem is that, immediately after the EPC light, 2 to 3 seconds after coming on the display, the engine just shuts down.
So after the first episode i took it to my local mechanic and he started looking at the electrical circuit and found a small electrical fault that he fixed, thinking that was causing the problem, reprogramming the injection module and checking the ECU.
Today it happen again. I drove it every single day for the last 12 days in the city, and today i did a small trip, nothing big, the car never failed, did 180km/h super chill, nothing during, but when i got back to city area it just died.
Any one with a similar EPC killing engine story with some knowledge to share?

This might be a stab in the dark as I'm only familiar with the V8 W210 models, but there was an issue with the brake switch which is tied to the ASR systems on the auto cars and can cause a limp home condition. If you know someone who can access the 38 pin connector, it should have a code.

Thanks

This might be a stab in the dark as I'm only familiar with the V8 W210 models, but there was an issue with the brake switch which is tied to the ASR systems on the auto cars and can cause a limp home condition. If you know someone who can access the 38 pin connector, it should have a code.
Still, it wouldnt cause and engine jsut to cutoff power, it doesnt make sence, but im going to check it out!!

In that case, I think you'd best find a garage with a STAR system which can read and interpret the fault codes on your car -anything else is just guessing and could become very expensive.

In that case, I think you'd best find a garage with a STAR system which can read and interpret the fault codes on your car -anything else is just guessing and could become very expensive.
Does a random OBD reader fail at the reading of the codes on the car or it just can´t gather the same information of the STAR system?

Could be air getting into the system. The 3.2 OM613 did have a problem with O rings in the fuel lines needing replacement. Or could be the HP pump, again it has O rings. Fuel filter is another thing to check as mentioned.

Could be air getting into the system. The 3.2 OM613 did have a problem with O rings in the fuel lines needing replacement. Or could be the HP pump, again it has O rings. Fuel filter is another thing to check as mentioned.
but from you experience, how can a car do 160km in a day, super smooth, and all of a sudden just shuts down the engine? A air leak causes the pressure on the fuel rail to drop, but is that enough for the engine car just shuts?
Normaly if i let the car rest for like 10 to 15 min he will work again, but its a time bomb, and you never know when its going to happen...

Only STAR will give all the codes, as well as live data, though needs an experienced person to interpret it all.

but from you experience, how can a car do 160km in a day, super smooth, and all of a sudden just shuts down the engine? A air leak causes the pressure on the fuel rail to drop, but is that enough for the engine car just shuts?
Normaly if i let the car rest for like 10 to 15 min he will work again, but its a time bomb, and you never know when its going to happen...

If there is air reaching the fuel pump instead of fuel, it will shut down as there is not enough fuel going through it. I can only guess without any codes or checking the car out. Have a look at the fuel lines, are they damaged in any way? If you have clear lines, have they gone hard and brown?

If there is air reaching the fuel pump instead of fuel, it will shut down as there is not enough fuel going through it. I can only guess without any codes or checking the car out. Have a look at the fuel lines, are they damaged in any way? If you have clear lines, have they gone hard and brown?
The line are dark and brown due to the age, and i will check for a leak, its something to check at least. I´ll try to get the car to a STAR to get some codes, if any 1 got any more ideas they are all welcome!!
Eventually i will replay with news!.
Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom