1999 w210 e320

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Javedw210

Car
mercedes benz w210 e36
Hello,

I am new to the forum and would like some help with my Mercedes Benz E320.

The car is currently on my drive on axle stands, I have removed the exhaust from the manifold and the full length of the prop shaft. The reason why I have done this is to remove the gearbox but I do not have the expertise and knowledge about how to remove the gearbox.

This is where I need your help is there a member who might be able to help remove the gearbox or know of a mechanic who might be able to remove my gearbox. I have phoned around to ask a mobile mechanic to come out but no one is willing to come out and say it has to go to a workshop with a ramp.

The reason for removing the gearbox is to change the rear main oil seal as it is leaking I have been putting in half a liter of oil in every month. I would also like to change the front oil seal behind the harmonic balancer.

Please can anyone help! I am desperate to get my Mercedes back on the road. I am located in Perivale (UB6) in the London area.

Javed

This will be of little help to you but I can fully understand why the mobile mechanics are turning this down. Gearbox removal/refit is the devil's work when you're rolling around on your back under the car.

You might be better off putting the car back together and taking it to a garage somewhere.

Hi,
More unhelpful comments....... You say your car is on axle stands.... I would get it on some ramps as soon as possible if you are going to attempt to get the box out. Ramps are safer and will probably get the car higher up off the ground to give you some more working space. If an axle stand collapses there is an awful lot of car to crush you !! Safety First always.
Next --I would search Youtube for a video of someone removing an automatic gearbox, I am sure there will be something, even for a different model will give you some idea.
Getting the propshaft and exhaust out of the way is a big step forwards. From above I think you will need to remove the gear selector and make sre you have disconnected the battery. From down below just the bellhousig bolts,electrics and rear box cross member. If in doubt make notes and take pics.
You are going to need a trolley jack and a large lump of wood for the box to rest on when you lower it down. This same piece of wood is handy for resting your head on when you are laying underneath. Get a friend to help lowering it and some decent lighting to see what you are doing.
When you have done that you can replace the seals etc.
Refitting the box is just a reverse of what you have done. You may need a a bottle jack to push the frot of the engine up a bit and keep it steady. Use your friend to balance the box on the bit of wood while you jack it back up, try not to force anything.
Good Luck.
Steve.

Hello Steve,

I appreciate any advice a member can give. So cheers for the advice.
I think I will have to do something like what you have suggested. I am just waiting for parts to arrive.

Regards
Javed

Some more gloom...
The first (and last) 'box I took out from underneath, on ramps, on a driveway... was on a MK1 Cortina.

The 722.6 box weighs about double that. One can lift it standalone, but it would be damned hard to move and refit on the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom