19s yes or no

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have 19" wheels on my S500 but they are nearly the smallest option, with a bigger profile and with Magic Body Control it rides like it's on glass.
Didn’t realise you had sold the CL500 John.

19s for me. Had them on my C250 and came with my C63. Yes you feel the bumps...or even a piece of grit 😁 but the car just wouldn't look the same with smaller wheels.

I had 19s on my 204. Looked great, but harsh ride, easy to kerb alloys, and worst of all AMG alloy wheel cracks due to a lack of cushioning when driving on poor surfaces.

Again I'm on 19s on my C43 as I purchased the car with 19s fitted and keeping my fingers crossed. This time around I have taken out alloy wheel insurance.

Didn’t realise you had sold the CL500 John.

Yes mate... 2 years ago now.

I didn't bother posting up as the CL, whilst not an AMG, was a great looking car and worthy of posting...

I think the S is a great looking car but it's not in the same league looks-wise as the CL and nor is it an AMG (sorry Alex).

It is an AMG Line but that's not a proper AMG so not really anything special really even though I still love it!

Although being an S500 with the same powertrain as the CL, it goes as fast as my E55K was when it was standard.

So I can still get people to the airport quickly... not that anyone flies any more.

I have a C205 250d coupe, 4matic. It came with 19” wheels (AMG multispoke turbine) & Continental runflat tyres.
They look great, but the ride is harsh and the rims find every kerb.
I’ve shat myself the couple of times that I’ve gone over some minor pot holes.
I’d really like to put some winter tyres on smaller wheels.
Question is 18” or 17”, staggered or the same?
Any recommendation?

Attachments

• A5205D79-5457-47CF-A211-AD34D367A0C9.jpeg
    A5205D79-5457-47CF-A211-AD34D367A0C9.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 4
If you must have smaller wheels, don't go to 17s they are too small for your car, they won't suit it at all, imo, if your 19s are staggered, then go for staggered 18s. :) 👍

Will changing from 19s to 18s give a noticeable improvement in ride quality?

My c207 has 8j all round but the tyres are staggered. 235 front 255 rear . If your fitting winters your best off all 4 tyres the same.

I maybe wrong but I am sure I have read winter wheel/tyre set up is a square set up. Personally if you can I would go 17s for a winter set up.

I maybe wrong but I am sure I have read winter wheel/tyre set up is a square set up. Personally if you can I would go 17s for a winter set up.
My c207 has 8j all round but the tyres are staggered. 235 front 255 rear . If your fitting winters your best off all 4 tyres the same.
Yes. I read elsewhere that winter setup should be square.

I have a C205 250d coupe, 4matic. It came with 19” wheels (AMG multispoke turbine) & Continental runflat tyres.
Any recommendation?

If it's any help, my E Class came on (non-staggered) winters on 17's. It had an amazing, pillowy ride.

I put staggered Style IV 18's on (for the look) and there was a noticeable reduction in ride comfort and an increase in road noise.

They look better, though.

Heart vs head.

Any recommendation?
I don't think the 17" will fit over your front calipers . Mine came with 19" & runflats , dropping the tyre pressure down to 225 - 230 kpa made a big difference and stopped the tyres wearing in the middle.

I have to say I’m largely going off the look of very low profile tyres, i quite like the nascar look now with a bit of a sidewall.

Yes. I read elsewhere that winter setup should be square.
Yes manufacturers often recommend a square set up for winter. If winter tyres are available in your summer sizes then there’s no reason why can’t go with staggered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom