19s yes or no

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnlewis1964

Car
2008 C180 Kompressor.
Folks I have a black c180 2008 saloon should I go 19s or not any pics would be great.
Thanks

No , much physics against it with ride quality and efficency losses .

Plus our roads don't reflect their use .

We have 19’s on C Class estate. It’s the only thing about the car that’s worse than the Mondeo estate (Also on 19’s) we handed back.

The ride is ridiculously rock hard. However, probably more down to the run flat P Zero’s (Mondeo had standard tyres and a space saver spare) rather than the size of the wheel.

The AMG Line sports suspension probably not helping either. 🙄

I’d say go for it but with the right tyre. 👍

I changed my 2008 S204 C220 Elegance from 16's to 17's without ruining the ride quality (and thus getting earache from the passenger seat) although it did make the driving experience better. However, I would not go any larger than 17" as I'm sure the ride would become too hard, so 19's - NO!

Up my way the roads have too many potholes etc to be sure of avoiding wheel damage, so probably no to 19”.

I've had 2 tyres burst on my 19's . Going into not very deep pot holes. The side walls were splitting. £100 tyres 2 weekends in succession. Stay on the safe bet size of 18 if i were you. Not much wall on a 19.

Attachments

• 20201017_105111.jpg
    20201017_105111.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
No , much physics against it with ride quality and efficency losses .

Plus our roads don't reflect their use .
What are the physics if the overall diameter of the wheel does not change? Just curious. I assume rim size goes up and side wall goes down. So speedo etc not affected!

What are the physics if the overall diameter of the wheel does not change?

No one would design an ultra low profile wheel/tyre size combination on the basis of how it performed dynamically. Everything is against it in terms of extra unsprung weight and sufficient tyre sidewall to absorb shocks and protect the wheel/ suspension components. And that is before you even consider what it will do to the ride quality. There must be an optimum tyre profile size that is a reasonable balance between looks and performance but it isn't 19" wheels when the stock ones were 16".

The answer is simple - No if you care anything about how the car performs dynamically and yes if you care only how it looks to the exclusion of everything else.

You will bite the end of your tongue off if you hit a pothole with 19’s

No one would design an ultra low profile wheel/tyre size combination on the basis of how it performed dynamically. Everything is against it in terms of extra unsprung weight and sufficient tyre sidewall to absorb shocks and protect the wheel/ suspension components. And that is before you even consider what it will do to the ride quality. There must be an optimum tyre profile size that is a reasonable balance between looks and performance but it isn't 19" wheels when the stock ones were 16".

The answer is simple - No if you care anything about how the car performs dynamically and yes if you care only how it looks to the exclusion of everything else.
Totally don't agree. :)

Changed from 18`s to 19`s on the CLS and within the first 100m i realised i had made an expensive mistake , car looked better as you would expect but the ride quality was compromised on all but the smoothest roads (remember them).

K

I've just spent £1300 to go to 18's if anyone wants to buy my 19's .

Attachments

• 128917923-the-patient-at-the-orthodontist-before-and-after-the-installation-of-dental-implants...jpg
    128917923-the-patient-at-the-orthodontist-before-and-after-the-installation-of-dental-implants...jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 13

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom