1mb ADSL Update

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kinky

MB Enthusiast
Car
All sorts of odds n sods
As promised, BT upgraded my ADSL from 512k to 1mb today :rock:

I must confess it's not a noticable difference.

I ran some tests to check, it was all working, which all look pretty good - results as follows:

Direction: Downstream
Actual Speed: 937 Kbps (117.1 KB/sec)
True Speed (estimated): 1011 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Direction: Upstream
Actual Speed: 242 Kbps (30.3 KB/sec)
True Speed (estimated): 261 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Still not noticable though !

K

I've had the wanndo 1.1mbps for about a week now and it is a lot quicker for downloading and does seem quicker for web browsing also.

Stu :)

Hummmm - I do go via 3 firewalls, Norton AV and Ad-Watch - which does slow it (it's obvious when you turn them all off).

Kinky said:
As promised, BT upgraded my ADSL from 512k to 1mb today :rock:

I must confess it's not a noticable difference.

Still not noticable though !

K

Snap. When I got home from work mine had been upgraded too.

I have noticed a difference. Web pages load quicker even though I am at this moment downloading at over 100kB/s.
Have you noticed that from early next year they will be limiting the amount you can download per month??

Yeah - 30 gig download per month.

I'd struggle to do that a year, never mind a month !

Unless everyone's signatures start getting relly silly.

K

Ive upgraded from 300k too 750k,Ive noticed web pages load marginally quicker but my downloads haven't changed at all :( Still ranging anything between 0.2kb/s upto 28kb/s,with the occasional 40kb/s but that is with everthing added up together.Single files are still only coming down at between 4.0kb/s and 12kb/s some maybe slower or quicker on certain occasions.So im going to downgrade very soon and save a few quid!

That may be a problem with the site you are downloading from pluggers.

My download is still running at between 95/100kb/s using BitTorrent.

BT broadband

you have to wonder how everyone else can charge Same or Less then BT for Broadband, yet they are the only ones placing the restriction on Downloads from next year.

I have to say, that since they dropped their pricing in July, my connection does not seem to be as good as it once was, nothing too noticeable, just there can be occasions when it seems it is not as quick as it once was.

I am sorely tempted by Tesco (£19.97 for 512 and no restrictions) or frankly anyone else, as most are not charging any more then £24 a month...with no limits

If we could get Cable I would not have bothered with BT at all.

I've just requested an upgrade to 1mbit

I pay £19 for 512k per month and with my current bandwidth usage of 4gb per month.

I will pay £20.24 per month for a 1mbit connection - twice the speed, nearly same price (based on 4gb bandwidth usage) :rock:

If I use loads more, I'll upgrade to the unlimited bandwidth plan @£29.99 pm
but before that happens I just pay £2 in 1gb chunks for extra bandwidth.

Plodd said:
That may be a problem with the site you are downloading from pluggers.

My download is still running at between 95/100kb/s using BitTorrent.

I am using bit torrents from time to time but still cant get more than about 25-35kb/s average,Which I think is quite good for a single file download.Never seen more than 40kb/s on these.I suppose it depends on how many seeds there are?

I use Blueyonder and have no restriction on Downloads etc. Current speed (as I write) 185kb/sec. All for the pricley sum of £28 per month :rock: :rock:

The BT download restrictions don't kick in until next year.

I still doubt I'll do anything near 30 gig a month - never mind a year !

K

I've just ordered Wanadoo 1 Meg broadband, my modem arrived today just waiting for BT ( does a Spit the Dog impression ) to activate my line. Then it's hello to the 21st century for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom