1Mb to 2Mb - can anyone tell the difference?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grasmere

Car
MB C220 D 1996
I've been on 1Mb broadband for a few months now and can upgrade for an extra £3 to 2Mb - but is it worth it?

The change from dial up to 512Kb was fantastic and from 512Kb to 1Mb 'seemed' to be noticeable but what do you guys think of goig from 1 to 2 Mb please

Ian

I'm on Telewest Broadband and they just upgraded me for free to 4MB!

I started on 1/2 MB and then they upgraded me to 1MB for free as well.

I did notice a good speed increase to 1MB but frankly I don't see much difference with the 4MB, even when downloading music, I think other internet network traffic limits what I actually experience - so I personally wouldn't bother.

grasmere said:
I've been on 1Mb broadband for a few months now and can upgrade for an extra £3 to 2Mb - but is it worth it?

The change from dial up to 512Kb was fantastic and from 512Kb to 1Mb 'seemed' to be noticeable but what do you guys think of goig from 1 to 2 Mb please

Ian

A lot depends on contention ratio and your local exchange, mine's a 2MB 50:1 and it does slow at weekends. But to be honest for £17.99 a month with Eclipse, I can't complain.

Paul.

I've got 1mb ntHell, and it's just fine.

Can't think of many occasions when I'd really need more, but then music downloads are about the hungriest thing I do.

PJ

Ive got 2mb from nthell and its ok.There is a noticble difference in speeds which you can only tell when downloading from newsgroups.

Had mine upgraded to 2mb FOC from 512kb.. ratio's are excellent. I do send large graphic files because of my work, so the faster the better. Viewing movie trailers and for internet gaming it's great. Is it Bulldog that does 8mb???

thanks guys - seems like I'll save the £3 instead

mmm? now what can I get for £3 :eek:

Gone from 56k to 2Mb so know no different but it is fantastic :bannana:

*EDIT*

A bit like going from a C180 to a C43 really :D

Last edited:
I too keep getting upgraded with Telwest/Blueyonder - started at 512kb and now about to switch to 4MB.

In reality I think the difference is only noticed if you download video. 99.9% of the time I'm browsing, and it really makes no difference to that - I often think I wish they'd offer me a discount instead of a 'free' upgrade.

In fact my ageing desktop PC is actually far slower than the bandwidth allows - the PC itself is the weak link rather than the connection speed :crazy: . Fortunately my laptop is a little quicker!!

I would keep the £3 until you begin to think it's a bit slow, and then upgrade!!

Went from 512 to 1MB yesterday, without running any actual stats, I personally cant feel a difference.

I got an email from Telewest last week, looks like I am getting a 10MB upgrade for free before Xmas. Aparantly our Scottish cousins already have it, cant wait. :bannana:

i got boosted from 512 to 2 meg , my connection flys now with d/l 's coming at about 300k

GrahamC230K said:
Went from 512 to 1MB yesterday, without running any actual stats, I personally cant feel a difference.
When I upgraded from 512 to 1mb, there was a massive difference, even in general browsing. Maybe some equipment at the exchange was, err, exchanged at the same time ...

I've just had BT put me from 1 to 512 because the connection was forever dropping and BTs engineers said that it was a noise on the line problem. Since dropping to 512 it actually now seems faster!!

fuzzer said:
i got boosted from 512 to 2 meg , my connection flys now with d/l 's coming at about 300k

I seem to be around that.

R2D2 said:
I've just had BT put me from 1 to 512 because the connection was forever dropping and BTs engineers said that it was a noise on the line problem. Since dropping to 512 it actually now seems faster!!

I'm apparently limited to 512 by restrictions at the exchange, that stopped me having a 1 Mb service that was cheaper than the 512 one I was on :mad:

I just 'upgraded' from 512 with a (high) limit to 512 with no limit and £1 a month less ... with the same provider!

Thanks to a Router at any one time our household can have two grumpy teenagers on PC's playing online games (World of Warcraft right now but also first person shooters), sometimes with a PS2 network connected and perhaps my laptop as well.

Going to 2Mb made a huge difference. The oft heard scream of "You are lagging me up, you £$%*wit!!!" when somebody started doing a download has all but vanished. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom