1st attempt at detailing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GoatBateman

Car
Mercedes C180 Coupé Kompressor
Today I gave the Elite Detailer Team a call to place an order (had to do it online) and was given all the advice and guidance I could ask for. Such a helpful bloke! I hope he see's this as I'm grateful.

So after our chat finding out what results I want and budget I've firstly decided to go for the below -
Duragloss 951 Aquawax (AW)
Sonus Der Wunder Polishing Towel, Pkg/2
Gloss-it 8oz Gloss Finish
Zaino Tri-foam 6" Applicator
Menzerna Power Finish PO 203 S (250ml)
Bilt Hamber Auto Clay - Original

This will be my first time claying so I'm going to try and go by the guides and see how it comes out. Staying well away from any machines, all going to be by hand so I dont do any damage.

Before and after pics to follow over the weekend and how I got on :thumb:

Claying is very easy - just remember to use lots of lubricant (whether that be water or a quick detailer).

Warm the clay up in your hands, flatten it to a small pancake (5 to 10 cm across) and away you go. Once the clay starts to look dirty, remould it to a clean pancake. Once clay is dirty all over then bin it. If you drop the clay on the floor, curse your luck and throw it away - never use that piece again!

Feel the smoothness of your efforts - it is well worth it.

Good luck :thumb:

Fatdazza offers sound advice!

I clayed mine for the first time a couple of weeks ago GB using Bilt Hamber:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/detailing-mbclub/111702-started-clean-300ce.html

You only need water as a lubricant (for Bilt Hamber) and i pretty much continuously sprayed with one hand and clayed with the other. I found i used too bigger chunks first of all, but used it more sparingly as i went on. You'll amazed with the results and how smooth your paintwork feels afterwards.

Last edited:
Fatdazza offers sound advice!

I clayed mine for the first time a couple of weeks ago GB using Bilt Hamber:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/detailing-mbclub/111702-started-clean-300ce.html

You only need water as a lubricant and i pretty much continuously sprayed with one hand and clayed with the other. I found i used too bigger chunks first of all, but used it more sparingly as i went on. You'll amazed with the results and how smooth your paintwork feels afterwards.

Thanks for the acknowledgement :thumb: I would caution that water is not a suitable lubricant for all clays. Generally check the manufacturer's instructions. A good QD can be purchased for 6 or 7 pounds and will be enough to do at least 4 cars - and can also add shine following a wax or sealant as well.

No probs FD - i've amended my post to show that water can be used as a lubricant for Bilt Hamber clay.

1/4 of the BH regular clay block is enough to clay a 968 coupe or a MB C270 estate (guess how I know!).

Cheers guys. I've a feeling I'm not going to use quite the right quantities of stuff the first time around but I suppose it's all about trying it out and then learning from that for the next time.
Really hoping they they turn up today so I can get on it on the weekend.

Just so I have a rough idea, how much time should I be allowing for a wash, clay, wax, polish on a c class coupe?

I'd give yourself the whole weekend to do it and weather pending you should get most of it done in the first day. It also depends on how contaminated your paintwork is when you clay - mine was pretty bad after 21 years and took ages!

Excluding using the Autosmart Tardis, this is how i did mine:
Wash/Clay/Wash/Polish using DA polisher/Wash (also used meguiars speed detailer)/Wax (2 coats).

Well everything turned up. I have to say, the whole process of ordering through to delivery has been amazing. Top marks go to the Elite Detailer Team :thumb:

So i'm on for tomorrow! (and knowing me, probably Sunday:rolleyes:)

Well everything turned up. I have to say, the whole process of ordering through to delivery has been amazing. Top marks go to the Elite Detailer Team :thumb:

So i'm on for tomorrow! (and knowing me, probably Sunday:rolleyes:)

and a couple of days more than that.

Mic

Ok so I'm a donut and I've kind of forgotten what the Elite Detailer bloke told me on the phone. I did write it down but forgot to bring it home... yes donut.
So quick question.
Nearly finished claying (feeling silky smooth by the way!) but I'm a little confused and thinkminhave two of the same thing for next.
I have the gloss it gloss finish and the menzerna power finish. Are these just not 2 polishers???

Ok so I'm a donut and I've kind of forgotten what the Elite Detailer bloke told me on the phone. I did write it down but forgot to bring it home... yes donut.
So quick question.
Nearly finished claying (feeling silky smooth by the way!) but I'm a little confused and thinkminhave two of the same thing for next.
I have the gloss it gloss finish and the menzerna power finish. Are these just not 2 polishers???

Full sequence:

wash
clay
wash
polish
glaze
seal....possibly x2
wax....possibly x2
detail spray......does the whole car including ''cleaning up'' the interface between glass and trim/bodywork

drive......start again !!!***???

Mic

Full sequence:

wash
clay
wash
polish
glaze
seal....possibly x2
wax....possibly x2
detail spray......does the whole car including ''cleaning up'' the interface between glass and trim/bodywork

Mic

:eek: Have you had a bump on the head recently? :dk:

Ha!
Ok so I'm guessing the menzerna power finish is the polish, the gloss it gloss finish is the glaze and then I have duragloss aqua wax to finish it all off. Just giving it a wash now after it's claying

Ha!
Ok so I'm guessing the menzerna power finish is the polish, the gloss it gloss finish is the glaze and then I have duragloss aqua wax to finish it all off. Just giving it a wash now after it's claying

Once you have the finish as you would want it maintenance will be much easier with regular washing and waxing as necessary.......detail spraying between waxings to retain a gloss finish for your own satisfaction.

For the benefit of Developer......I only regurgitate what I have been told.

mic

Once you have the finish as you would want it maintenance will be much easier with regular washing and waxing as necessary.......detail spraying between waxings to retain a gloss finish for your own satisfaction.

mic

Thanks for that.

Sorry to be a pain though... Just need confirmation that I should be using the menzerna power finish to polish, the gloss it gloss finish to glaze (even though I don't really know what glaze is as vie not heard of it before :()

Thanks for that.

Sorry to be a pain though... Just need confirmation that I should be using the menzerna power finish to polish, the gloss it gloss finish to glaze (even though I don't really know what glaze is as vie not heard of it before :()

Sorry, I am not familiar with these products.

Mic

Full sequence:

wash
clay
wash
polish
glaze
seal....possibly x2
wax....possibly x2

Mic

I am lazy and will wash, clay, wash, wax x2.

Claying has 1 main advantage, it removes all contaminants and means the wax goes on smoother.

Waxing acts as a sealant and protects the paint. I am wary of polishing as it is a mild cutting agent and would rather not put that on my cars fragile paint.

Instead of a sealant you could use a pre wax cleanse like limeprime light. It has no cutting agents but gets it a tad shinier before waxing.

Depends what you want, I mainly clean/detail a car to protect it 1st and foremost, others may feel differently.

I am lazy and will wash, clay, wash, wax x2.

Claying has 1 main advantage, it removes all contaminants and means the wax goes on smoother.

Waxing acts as a sealant and protects the paint. I am wary of polishing as it is a mild cutting agent and would rather not put that on my cars fragile paint.

Instead of a sealant you could use a pre wax cleanse like limeprime light. It has no cutting agents but gets it a tad shinier before waxing.

Depends what you want, I mainly clean/detail a car to protect it 1st and foremost, others may feel differently.

You are correct about polishing......I polished mine for the first time in almost 8yrs. (glazing and sealing as well for that matter) and it could well be another 8yrs. before it gets polished again.
The sealing, however, is brilliant and I would recommend that as part of an annual ''cleanse''.

Mic

And you certainly don't need to clay each time from now on - once done, you shouldn't need it doing for at least 12 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom