1st MB in 30 yrs motoring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul/

Car
CLS 320cdi
Hi All,

Posted this in another thread and was suggested that I include it here too, by way of an introduction:

A few weeks ago I visited my local MB dealership to explore the dog-compatibility of recent E class saloons (I’d rather not have an estate), and concluded that I’d need split/fold rear seats, but they had nothing in their used stock. I spotted their 08 CLS 320cdi- I’ve always admired the original CLS’s looks- and started persuading myself that it wouldn’t be much less dog-practical than an E class.

Practicality went out of the window when I then decided I wanted a beige interior for a change, but the salesman was sporting and undertook to find me one which also had my desired spec. I beat him to it the next day through the MB Used Approved search, but was disappointed to learn that not all dealerships co-operate nationally as some other marques do to move used stock around, so I faced the prospect of doing business 3.5 hours drive away, with Brooklands.

However, their spec seemed a rare match to my requirements and the price fair for an 09 320cdi, even its half-wood steering wheel was charming me despite adding another notch to the level of dog-impracticality, so I contacted Brooklands, who hadn’t yet received it but gave me a good price to change against my Insignia, and by the end of the day I’d paid a deposit to secure first refusal of their vehicle (fully refundable for any reason even if just changing my mind). They received the vehicle 2 days later and after valeting emailed me hi-res photos. It looked good despite a few small blemishes they’d identified and were correcting.

I’d previously only considered black, but thought this one’s Indium Grey better complemented the beige interior. There weren’t any actual vehicles around in this colour, so I resorted to the internet, discovering images varying from grey to brown (which I’ve since realised is due to lighting conditions), and pretty polarised opinions (one of the positive opinions described it as “earthy” which didn’t sound great).

It was rather optimistic to undertake a 500 mile round trip hoping to complete a deal on the spot, when neither party had properly seen the other’s vehicle- having gone all that way, would I feel the need to accept second best condition and/or or accept a reduced offer on my p/x, would that colour look like c4ck? Then again, the salesman had impressed me from the outset and I felt I was dealing with someone doing their best to ensure I wouldn’t be disappointed and getting everything in place at his end to make it all happen. There was also the consolation of the venue- Brooklands aero and motorsport heritage museum (with Concorde), the remnants of the banked circuit, MB World and opportunity for a MB Experience drive on the circuit and skidpans.

So within a week of thinking about a CLS, I was down at Brooklands where the vehicle was presented theatrically (would have seemed ridiculous in any less dramatic setting- the showrooms are within the MB world building and museum). It was immaculately prepared, the colour looked classy and the deal was done at the original price to change, despite my p/x losing a bit after close assessment of a scuff I’d previously described to them.

I received a courtesy call nearing home, the only issue to report was front wheel vibration at motorway speeds, since then sorted at their expense, at my local dealership (had 2 new-looking front tyres and, as guessed, just needed better balancing). Once home I discovered that the salesman had left his office to take pics of my driving experience and emailed me them. All in all, fantastic service from Brooklands.

It’s early days, but so far the car has a feelgood factor I can’t define, a sense that the lines and colours both inside and out have a retro vibe (forgive the Jamie Oliverism) that chimes with some of the more classic big- dare I say… Jags...

And our English Bull Terrier is now accommodated in an “Allside Dog Car Seat Cover”- a cunning 4-sided waterproof hammock secured between front and rear headrests and rear grab handles.

Cheers,

Paul

indium grey and beige is a super cool colour combination

please post pics.

yep sounds an amazing car!would love to see some pics!

Thanks guys, OK then here are some of the pics I was emailed before I went down. Taken on a phone with fine resolution (reduced here 4x in each dimension to be manageable) but its wideish angle lens has perhaps over-enhanced the natural curves of the CLS...

The MB Experience track in the background was fun if a little narrow for learning racing lines- and no, I didn't go out in my new car!

Attachments

• frntsml.jpg
    frntsml.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 91
  • rearsml.jpg
    rearsml.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 91
  • intsml.jpg
    intsml.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 92
Beautiful Car :thumb:

I just wish all Mercedes Dealerships were as good as Brooklands :thumb:

that's nappa leather :)

and I really like the simple 5 spoke alloys.

excellent choice

that's nappa leather :)

and I really like the simple 5 spoke alloys.

excellent choice
Thanks. Wish I could claim that I got this vehicle through painstaking research, rigorous selection criteria and waiting for just the right one to come along, but I'm just glad that I acted on impulse, took a chance and appear to have struck lucky first time.

I like the simple wheels most when its cleaning time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom