1st Mercedes....... have I made the right decision?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Westygef

Car
S Class W222
Hi everyone. I am a recent owner of a Mercedes 2017 S350D W222 after driving BMWs for many years. I am a retired engineer and live in NE England with my wife. We have 2 sons and 5 grandchildren.

1st impressions of the car are favourable, it is very refined, quiet and extremely comfortable although the layout of the controls and the computer functions are taking some getting used to,but that is down to me and I am sure I will adapt in due course. I do have a concern over fuel consumption however and have made a separate post on the subject

Welcome, am sure you will grow to love your new car

Bit late now to ask that question. But I am pretty sure you will not be disappointed. You have driven BMW for a while so if you have been using main dealer for service you will not be too shocked by MB main dealer cost.

Welcome along. Ask all your questions on here , even the 'stupidest' of questions gets answered (after you experience a bit of harmless ribbing) :) Enjoy your new car !

Welcome.

The S350d is one of the most common models of the S-Class. It is a fine car.

Said that, it is a heavy car equipped with a relatively small engine (compared to the car's size, and to the alternative engines available for the S-Class), and therefore it is unlikely to prove as economic as a small or medium size car with the same-size engine.

So it is unlikely to be more economic to run than a 3-Series or 5-Series with similar sized Diesel engine...

But it's still one of the best mass-production cars money can buy :thumb:

Welcome to the forum, I’m also a “newbie” and new to Mercedes having previously owned the Jaguar I always wanted but finished rather disappointed when I had to get all four doors replaced due to corrosion.

It’s a long story but sadly that XF was written off in a non fault accident and we’ve replaced it with our first Merc, a CLS Shooting Brake which we love and so far we find it far superior to the XF.

It’s only the 220, our choice moving down from a 3.0 XF but it’s git plenty of power for us after all we don’t all need to be like Lewis Hamilton do we !

Wrong decision! you should have bought a Fiat!!!

.... not really, welcome :)

Welcome to the forum.

I personally don’t think you’ve made the wrong decision. Quite the opposite. I love the S Class and I can’t really think of a comfier or classier car to be in.

Also the 3.0 V6 engine in your car is probably the best compromise in terms of running. You should see relatively good MPG and plenty of torque to get moving. Enjoy.

Hi, Welcome to the forum.

Good Choice! I have a 2015 C220 and she is sturdy, reliable & perfect family car! Enjoy your Mercedes!

The S-Class is head and shoulders above the competition making it the “go-to” choice for those looking for the ultimate luxo-barge.

For the past 10 years... the majority of car magazines' comparative tests concluded that:

The 3-Series wins over the C-Class on all fronts.

The 5-Series is better than the E-Class when it comes to dynamics and handling (often quoted as the 'driver's car'), while the E-Class is more composed, comfortable and has better ride.

The 7-Series loses to the S-Class on all fronts.

Enjoy the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom