1st 'MOP' Polisher - Meguiars G220 V2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
lol i dunno looks really healthy in the pic's, was there many swirls to start with? what did you use to seal it?

Loads of swirls which I removed most of with compound, then just applied some Megs wax.

I guess I should have put somthing on afterwards?

Did you compound then Polish followed by a wax? or just go for a wax straight after? I've been using Autoglym Extra gloss to seal mine and tbf im quite impressed on how long it lasts and the finish.

Just to let you know, If your hoping to get swirls out with a DA polisher. It won't. You need a rotary to cut it back then da to finish and take the fine marks out that the rotary will put in.

I disagree entirely here. DA will easily remove swirling, have corrected many BMW's in the past which are renowned for rock hard clear coats. Easily managed it with DA, and megs polishes, coarse, med and fine. Also done a Disco 3, a Vauxhall Zafira and Mini over the past year.

Sent from my iPhone

It will remove swirling to a Degree. Not perfect but let anyone loose with a rotary who doesn't know there are doing and you'd wish you had swirls lol.

Using various pads combos and compounds with refiners will see a massive improvement.

Sorry but you have zero idea on swirl removal if you think that. Yes a rotary will clear swirls faster, however you can quite easily remove 100% of swirls with a DA polisher, its not about the machine but the compounds used and how they are worked.

BMW and Merc use Ceramiclear, its ultra hard and a royal pain in the butt to deswirl. Personally I always used Menzerna as for me it worked the best. After 10 years of detailing before I sold my business I had worked on all makes and almost all models upto 5 years ago, using rotary in the main but some cars a DA is better, when my rotary failed the DA never let me down.

I've also used a DA to polish out wet flatting marks when I needed to remove all signs of orange peel.

So please don't try saying its not possible to do a job with a DA, its just quicker and easier with a rotary, but the finish if done properly is no different

Sorry but you have zero idea on swirl removal if you think that. Yes a rotary will clear swirls faster, however you can quite easily remove 100% of swirls with a DA polisher, its not about the machine but the compounds used and how they are worked.

BMW and Merc use Ceramiclear, its ultra hard and a royal pain in the butt to deswirl. Personally I always used Menzerna as for me it worked the best. After 10 years of detailing before I sold my business I had worked on all makes and almost all models upto 5 years ago, using rotary in the main but some cars a DA is better, when my rotary failed the DA never let me down.

I've also used a DA to polish out wet flatting marks when I needed to remove all signs of orange peel.

So please don't try saying its not possible to do a job with a DA, its just quicker and easier with a rotary, but the finish if done properly is no different

Fantastic your a professional detailer, I've owned BMW and MB marque's the last 20 plus years so I'm well aware of how hard the paint is. I don't proclaim to be a detailer just a keen amateur, I found Menzerna very 'oily' I'm well aware of the hundreds of different compounds on the market, of course it's how you use the product and work it as it should.

I don't recall saying a da would remove swirl marks easier or faster just the fact the a rotary in the wrong hands can do a lot of damage.

I won't use a rotary as I don't own a PDG I'll leave that to the professionals.

I'm happy with the results my da has given me on my past and present cars, I've used many different compounds and always imo found scholl concepts a good product. As well as megs 205 and 105. Horses for courses.

100% of new cars all seem to have orange peel.

BTW are you related to junkman?

KILLERHERTZ car looks great :thumb:

Last edited:
Fantastic your a professional detailer, I've owned BMW and MB marque's the last 20 plus years so I'm well aware of how hard the paint is. I don't proclaim to be a detailer just a keen amateur, I found Menzerna very 'oily' I'm well aware of the hundreds of different compounds on the market, of course it's how you use the product and work it as it should.

I don't recall saying a da would remove swirl marks easier or faster just the fact the a rotary in the wrong hands can do a lot of damage.

I won't use a rotary as I don't own a PDG I'll leave that to the professionals.

I'm happy with the results my da has given me on my past and present cars, I've used many different compounds and always imo found scholl concepts a good product. As well as megs 205 and 105. Horses for courses.

100% of new cars all seem to have orange peel.

BTW are you related to junkman?

KILLERHERTZ car looks great :thumb:

First off MWCLS, my deepest apologies, some how I clicked and replied to you when I meant to reply to gunning's post, sorry for my mistake :(

Sorry not related as far as I know to junkman, who is he?

I totally agree Menzerna is oily but as we both know finding a product that we get on with and can work with is what its all about, I could never get on with Megs as I found it too dry.

Yes almost all cars now come factory fitted with orange peel, even the Veryon and Phantom, both of which I have had to wet flat and machine to get the finish which the owners were happy with.

Junkman is a Internet detailer sensation, with lots of advice and technics. Just have a look on YouTube.

First off MWCLS, my deepest apologies, some how I clicked and replied to you when I meant to reply to gunning's post, sorry for my mistake :(

Sorry not related as far as I know to junkman, who is he?

I totally agree Menzerna is oily but as we both know finding a product that we get on with and can work with is what its all about, I could never get on with Megs as I found it too dry.

Yes almost all cars now come factory fitted with orange peel, even the Veryon and Phantom, both of which I have had to wet flat and machine to get the finish which the owners were happy with.

Shocking cars of that value with orange peel!

Did you compound then Polish followed by a wax? or just go for a wax straight after? I've been using Autoglym Extra gloss to seal mine and tbf im quite impressed on how long it lasts and the finish.

Havent actually used any polish as such, is the extra gloss good then?

On the whole the Megs G220 is ok for the serious amateur, but it has it limitations. These are speed / power and reliability.
Its no use for serious paint correction, where you have hard paint with deep swirls or scratches, it just cannot spin fast enough / not enough power to breakdown coarse polish compounds.
Reliability wise - it eats carbon brushes and sooner or later the top rotating spigot and support bearings will fail.
So if you are only using it for finishing down ( removing holograms etc )or just correcting light swirls a couple of times a year, then its for you.
If you want a serious pro DA then a Rupes is the way to go.
Honestly - because of its speed and power limitations, you are going to be hard pressed to burn through your paint with this DA, you would have to have it at full speed and working the same spot for a long time, so in essence you are not using it correctly!
As per previous posts, when polishing - mask off all trim, and cover the rest of the car with a polythene sheet to protect from polish splatter. Dried on polish compound will stain black or rubber trim.

PS a DA is not classed as " Mopping". I think this relates to a Rotary polisher used in conjunction with a lambswool polishing pad / head.

In the body/paint shop i am in i do most of the paint polishing and i use a Milwalkee rotary polisher using 3M polishing mops the standard green then yellow extra fine and finish with blue ultrafina with all the appropriate 3M compounds and am most pleased with the results i get. The 2 photo's are a BMW bonnet i did 2 weeks ago. Also the boss had been telling nay preaching about the Rupes DA polisher so much he went and bought the full kit and i dont like it atall it definetely cannot cut paint the way a rotary machine can. So as the pics show i will stick with rotary all the way..
20151008_140253.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20151008_140307.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

In the body/paint shop i am in i do most of the paint polishing and i use a Milwalkee rotary polisher using 3M polishing mops the standard green then yellow extra fine and finish with blue ultrafina with all the appropriate 3M compounds and am most pleased with the results i get. The 2 photo's are a BMW bonnet i did 2 weeks ago. Also the boss had been telling nay preaching about the Rupes DA polisher so much he went and bought the full kit and i dont like it atall it definetely cannot cut paint the way a rotary machine can. So as the pics show i will stick with rotary all the way..

Really impressive results :thumb:

Whereabouts in Glasgow are you based?

Both my cars need a good paint correction carried out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom