1st niggle wanted 2002 CL55 AMG Dash knob!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rossy

Car
Me:-CLS55 AMG & ML280 Edition Wife:-Pug 3008 GT Line Premium
Ok one of the "niggles" on the car is this...

As you look at the Dash Cluster, on the right there is a button with R on it...I beleave this resets the trip etc...
In the exact same place but oposite (as in mirror position) I have a hole...2mm ish..I beleave its not just a button but also a twizzy knob too...

Its missing...doubt it will break the bank from main dealer but what it is for?

Bare in mind I an't got the car yet (Should be delivered tomoz...as being Taxed and don't want to lose a month) so can't look up in hand book.

Also I need one obviously if anyone has one that would be great or I'll go to the stealers!!

Thanks

Rossy

It's the dimmer for the dash lights.

Awesome piece of kit by the way. I also have a 2002 model... Twitching to get the supercharged one now. Enjoy

rossy said:
Ok one of the "niggles" on the car is this...

As you look at the Dash Cluster, on the right there is a button with R on it...I beleave this resets the trip etc...
In the exact same place but oposite (as in mirror position) I have a hole...2mm ish..I beleave its not just a button but also a twizzy knob too...

Its missing...doubt it will break the bank from main dealer but what it is for?

Bare in mind I an't got the car yet (Should be delivered tomoz...as being Taxed and don't want to lose a month) so can't look up in hand book.

Also I need one obviously if anyone has one that would be great or I'll go to the stealers!!

Thanks

Rossy

Hi. That's not a Dimmer switch/dial. That knob is to release the Instrument Cluster from the Dash. This knob cannot be replaced as its part of the actual unit itself. This knob is likely to have snapped/damaged when someone previously might have needed to remove the cluster. HTH

Dimmer switch on mine

Skhan said:
Dimmer switch on mine dde10

On the w220/w215 the knob on the left of the cluster is a push button to release the cluster/bezel. When you insert the removal keys that button pops up and then needs pushing in to bring the cluster out. Done it on many many S and CL class Mercs.

I don't doubt that you're right, mine has a push in/out knob, when it's out you're able to adjust the lights on the instrument cluster

Skhan said:
I don't doubt that you're right, mine has a push in/out knob, when it's out you're able to adjust the lights on the instrument cluster

Cheers.

Cheers.[/QUOTE]

Although mine is an import.

Skhan said:

Although mine is an import.[/QUOTE]

You are absolutely correct Skhan. I stand corrected. It is definitely a dimmer knob as you said. Cheers.

So just to clarify... It's a dimmer knob just on the imports?

Skhan said:
So just to clarify... It's a dimmer knob just on the imports?

Nope. It's a dimmer across the range. Regardless. I was completely wrong on what I thought it was.

However. The dimmer will only dim or brighten the cluster whilst main headlights are switched on. It says in the handbook that it will not work if main lights are switched off.

Cool

Reference for W220 and W215

Attachments

• image-2864737806.jpg
    image-2864737806.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 11
  • image-1741798142.jpg
    image-1741798142.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 7
It's also broken on my w220, I actually thought it was also a dimmer switch on that as well. At least it know now. Thanks

Skhan said:
It's also broken on my w220, I actually thought it was also a dimmer switch on that as well. At least it know now. Thanks

Cool. I thought mine never worked (until I just read the handbook now, 8years toooo late, lol). Now I know I have to turn on the main lights and it has to be night/dusk. The switch does nothing in normal daylight. Isn't life great ....

Lol well at least we're the few that know now

How strange that W220 and C215 use an analogue potentiometer to dim the dash illumination, when the older W210 used a +/- push button.

The cluster is removed by inserting radio keys into the 2 slots on either side.

What's wrong with a rotary dimmer?

V12 said:
The cluster is removed by inserting radio keys into the 2 slots on either side.

What's wrong with a rotary dimmer?

The OP is purchasing a CL55k which has a missing dimmer dial/knob. Original query was to find and replace said part. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom