1st tour of 2012/4yrs of Mercedes ownership commemorated

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st4

Banned
Car
C220cdi tourer
This is my first tour of 2012 and it co-incides approximately with my fourth year of driving Mercedes cars.

I decided last week a good detailing was in order, so the car was washed, clayed and waxed. I do not want to use polish as it is a cutting agent and the paint as I have discovered on Mercedes cars isn't the best.

I took the shed up the A82 and stopped at Firking point 3 miles South of Tarbert.

You can see how clean she is

DSC_0003.jpg

Today was fairly fresh and being rain free I had to go touring, it would be rude not too.

It was rather cold though looking up Loch Lomond

DSC_0323.jpg

DSC_0328.jpg

However, the sun openned up and by Arrochar as my intended route was over the "Rest and Bethankful" pass. Normally I stop for a picture up at the top, but I've done that so often I will offer a view from Arrochar, down Long Long

DSC_0345.jpg

See here

DSC_0348.jpg

I was driving along that, not bad eh???

My original intention, which I stated to LTD via PM was to go down the Mull of Kintyre to Carradale but with fuel costs the way they are, I felt a slightly shorter run was in order and a run I have not done for about 2 years is the one to Colintraive.

The route follows the A83, did a belting overtake on the A83, near full speed, the fella in Kightswood has done a sterling job on the shed as she charged down the hill on a tidal wave of torque and power.

The route I took takes you to Stathur, and you then follow the A826 to Dunoon down the Argyll Forrest. This is a great road and is usually quiet with great views, twists and turns and elevation changes. The sports suspension in my car makes it a doddle to flow along at a reasonably fast pace.

The view is rather nice

DSC_0349.jpg

From Dunoon you follow a single track road over to Colintraive, again being an E class its a manage size of car to extract some fun out of on these tighter roads, a C would be ideal, an S really a bit too big on a rather small road.

Two hero shots of the "shed"

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

From Colintraive the road goes road and goes to a dead end. Nice run though

DSC_0377.jpg

DSC_0382.jpg

The weather got a bit ****y

DSC_0396.jpg

From Colintraive it was the quick way back, I had got the best of the days weather

DSC_0402.jpg

MPG wise I am not thrilled

DSC_0023.jpg

But you need to remember, a lot of this is uphill single track roads, and a few speedy moments. I would have hoped for better, but the sheds new found performance is too much to resist and the weather was cold.

Next tour will be a proper big grandtour.

What camera did you use? They are beautifullytaken photos!

What camera did you use? They are beautifullytaken photos!
Cheers John

Nikon D80 with a Sigma 10-20mm and also a Nikon D5000 with an 18-200mm superzoom. Get up here in your car, or come for my tour in Septmeber. It will be epic

And don't forget the midges :D

Midges aren't bad. Thats about as bad as it gets here. Go to Africa, Australia or even America and the wildlife there is a lot worse than midges.

Hmmm. Looks nice up there. I think I may just take a run up to Scotland next Saturday for a spot of lunch with some friends. They tell me there is a nice place here. Castle Inn | Dirleton

If I get there about 1300 perhaps Ill see a few people I know. Hopefully I will see Steve's 35 MPG too. My car could do with a good run after the winter.

Had a look at their menu. Can any one tell me why a chicken dish would be called "Teuchter" when Teuchter would appear to be a derogatory word used by Lowlanders for a Highlander. Or is is meant just to mean Highland Chicken.

Highland chicken I guess. I love Balmoral chicken. I hope they have that, or if Del320 is going, a fillet steak it will have to suffice!!!!!!!!

Great pics glad you went out for a drive and enjoyed the shed...

I was out in mine today a 105mile round trip and it gave 44mpg over the journey. 50% dual carrage way, 40% A road and 10% villages.

Great :)

A210, this is just the start, touring season for 2012 has just opened. York and the North coast of Scotland all being well (weather) for end March and April I think maybe the Mull of Kintyre and the lake district, May I have Ian F's trip, Wales touring in June and all July, August and September to have grand tours up here :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom