2.0 E350e 6.4kWh 2017 100K Miles Worth buying? Your thoughts please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mercified

Car
C220d
Got a C class and love it … but now looking to buy used e350e plug in 2017 …

What do you think … good or not so good compared to e220d .

I am getting it not to save fuel etc but been told hybrid / elec are lot more reliable. Have enjoyed that with our other Lexus as well. Hybrid Lexus are way better than normal but does that applies to Merc as well?

What millage is good to buy at , can’t see any less than 100K miles … are they too much if with full service history on main dealer for 2017 … So far mixed bag reviews so confused ... many claim they bring all sorts of problems and repairs are expensive which isn't true in case of Lexus hence need your thoughts

Second question

Once bought should I keep going to main dealer or a good local is good being it already 5 years old and by the time I sell it will be 10 years old .
Thanks

Last edited:
Same dilemma here on my post below

What price you plant o spending ?

Last edited:
Less than a thousand E350e's were sold in 2017, so your choice will be restricted. 220e's were sold by the zillion.

Last time I looked, E350e were mid-£20's at main dealer for reasonable, nowhere near rocket ship, mileages.

I've spoken to three E350e owners - none of whom were selling - just a general chat - and the main theme I picked up was that they couldn't be bovvered to plug them in every night.

Got a C class and love it … but now looking to buy used e350e plug in 2017 …

What do you think … good or not so good compared to e220d .

I am getting it not to save fuel etc but been told hybrid / elec are lot more reliable. Have enjoyed that with our other Lexus as well. Hybrid Lexus are way better than normal but does that applies to Merc as well?

What millage is good to buy at , can’t see any less than 100K miles … are they too much if with full service history on main dealer for 2017 … So far mixed bag reviews so confused ... many claim they bring all sorts of problems and repairs are expensive which isn't true in case of Lexus hence need your thoughts

Second question

Once bought should I keep going to main dealer or a good local is good being it already 5 years old and by the time I sell it will be 10 years old .
Thanks
Will you save any money over buying an E class diesel and keeping that for 5 years ?

Same dilemma here on my post below

What price you plant o spending ?

Give or take 18-20K as per autotrader .

Less than a thousand E350e's were sold in 2017, so your choice will be restricted. 220e's were sold by the zillion.

Last time I looked, E350e were mid-£20's at main dealer for reasonable, nowhere near rocket ship, mileages.

I've spoken to three E350e owners - none of whom were selling - just a general chat - and the main theme I picked up was that they couldn't be bovvered to plug them in every night.

Thanks but if they are not selling does that implies they are happy and satisfied.

Thanks but if they are not selling does that implies they are happy and satisfied.
No, it implies that they had use of E350e's and were talking to someone who asked about their experience of the car, typically during the first 30,000 miles of the cars life

And why did they have E350e's? Because there's a massive tax break that makes the petrol or diesel equivalent a ridiculous alternative. It's basically a "free" car.

The same as the situation with BMW 530e owners.

Possibly, though I would argue that with such a small sample, it's very difficult to reach any meaningful conclusions.

No, it implies that they had use of E350e's and were talking to someone who asked about their experience of the car, typically during the first 30,000 miles of the cars life

And why did they have E350e's? Because there's a massive tax break that makes the petrol or diesel equivalent a ridiculous alternative. It's basically a "free" car.

The same as the situation with BMW 530e owners.

Fair enough

but my orignal question or post was around reliability purely ... are they better than E 220d or do do the need less maintenance ... if driven for same mileage and conditions say 10K local a year.

Not much of a difference in price or servicing ....

Definitely will save on fuel until there is no trouble.

That's interesting. E350e's were about £4k more expensive than E220's at the end of last year.

Like this E350e that has done 38k and which is currently on sale at £28k, which I would have thought would still be £4k more than its equivalent ?

But I was looking at normal mileages.

Maybe there's a factor here about whether 2nd & 3rd owners can get free charging at work, and easy access to cheap power on their own driveways at home?

Auto Trader UK - New and Used Cars For Sale

5693b376601e4551a3183201efc17c24.jpg

Last edited:
There's a simple law in engineering, that says that a product's overall reliability is a derivative of the individual reliability of each of its components.

Therefore, a car that has only an ICE will always be statistically more reliable than a car that has both an ICE and an electric motor with battery. Ther's no way around it....

In other words, a Hybrid car may be reliable enough, but it will never be as reliable as the same car without the electric motor. It's simple maths....

Fair enough

but my orignal question or post was around reliability purely ... are they better than E 220d or do do the need less maintenance ... if driven for same mileage and conditions say 10K local a year.
Aye, as I said, you're sampling less than a thousand E350e's put on the road in 2017. Less than 300 of which will have done more than 40,000 miles in four years.

My point, which perhaps I didn't make clear, is that the three people I spoke to were saying that they didn't harvest the expected fuel saving because they can't be bothered to plug the car in every night, so they're using a 200bhp 2.0 petrol engine, giving them 35mpg day to day, plus electricity costs.

The actual mpg is that bad because that 2.0 litre 200bhp engine is carrying an extra quarter of a tonne over the E220d.

As long as you're committed to cabling up every time you park at night, then the PHEV hybrid will match the diesel, but I personally haven't heard anyone say that they know anyone who's saving money over a diesel, when the car is this young. (And everyone, to a man, forgets to include the cost of electricity in their mpg comparison)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom