2.2 diesel XF?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BIG Sean

Car
Chrysler 300c SRT Design CRD
any one with any experience?

Try one out.

I couldn't get on with the front seat side bolsters digging in my thighs all the time - but then I am 6'4" with rugby player-sized thighs.

I thought they were great cars otherwise.

Not heard much positive about the electronics in them though!

Never owned the 2.2 but in the past I’ve owned a pre-facelift twin-turbo diesel and an XFR and have today just bought a facelift twin-turbo diesel and have not had any issues at all, they’re a fantastic all-rounder in my opinion; the twin turbo diesel easily achieves over 50mpg on a quick run.

Engine is fine (PSA Unit and they know how to build a good diesel). I suspect you will struggle with poor build quality and archaic infotainment; I speak as a LR owner with the supposedly new In-Control (not Pro) system in my LR DS that is worse in terms of speed and graphics the Comand system in my 2005 ML (164). As a 2.2d I suppose you are looking at a pre MY15 car (?) , so that will have a SatNav with Graphics last since on a Commodor Vic 20.

Like most cars, the face-lift (2011 onwards) ones tend to have most of the bugs ironed out. Personally, I'd avoid the 4 pot motors (as I would with MB) as they're just too agricultural for what is meant to be a luxury car. In the real world, the sixes have virtually the same running costs and offer a vastly superior driving experience.

Jags have their failings - electrics / electronics being one of them. However, the received wisdom is that many spurious warnings are generated by a slightly dodgy battery - the battery in these cars really has to be tip-top.

There are lots of Jag forums and they'll provide a lot more information on the good / bad points of the XF.

My XF is now 3.5 years old and the only issue I've had is a faulty coolant level sensor (replaced under warranty).

Again, as with MB a lot of the diagnostic codes can only be read properly by proper main-dealer kit although the cars themselves are relatively easy to work on.

For what it is worth, based on my own experience of the two marques, I'd never buy a MB again but would certainly have another Jaguar.

any one with any experience?
I had a 2011 3.0s from new. I had to get rid of it within a year as it had the (un)recognised ‘attenuation’ problem that Jaguar refused to resolve - some dealers did but others, like Ipswich didn’t. The noise drove me mad - it was between 20 to 40 mph and 3 Jaguar technicians confirmed the problem but Jaguar refused to resolve it. It was caused by the fuel lines resonating and was a massive job to cure - just make sure you test drive it extensively between 20 and 40 mph !

No experience of the XF although my neighbour has one and seems happy.
I unfortunately bought a new XE Portfolio 2.0d and had nothing but trouble. Bad quality control was the most obvious and poor support from JLR.
Boot lid clash with the bumper, failure of the eco stop/start, poor panel alignment, and poor electrics meaning that the car constantly refused to start. I think these issues are shared with some of the XF's.
Paint quality seemed thin (softer than MB) and easily scratched, leather seats puddled in the first year, and although I didn't have problems it seems others had issues with the rear light bulbs, battery, and various engine earth straps.
Slow/poor support from JLR eventually got to me and and I sold after a year and for piece of mind I went back to a brand I knew worked.
Having said that the XE at least is brilliant car to drive. Perhaps unfortunately there will never again be a Jag in our family.
Happy with Mercs, SLK, C and E Class we have done most of them.

I had an early 59 plate 2.7 v6 XF, it was a nice car to drive and sit in but it wasnt with out its problems in the 2 1/2 yrs I had it, rust on the boot were the chrome plinth met the body work, re paired and resprayed by dealer, both rear light clusters replaced as 50% of the led's had failed, this was due to poor light cluster seals letting moisture in causing corrosion on the circuite boards in the light clusters, DPF blocked every couple of months despite getting long motorway runs this was eventually traced by Jaguar to small rubber valves causing over fueling as they had perished a fault they new about on the 2.7v6 engine but kept quiet over. concidering I bought i second hand out of warranty from an independant dealer, Jaguar in Chester came through every time and sorted the car out each time with very little expense to myself.

I cant comment on the 2.2 but as others have said its based on the 2.2psa engine which is in my Freelander 2 thats a pretty strong reliable engine.

Thanks all, I'll be taking a rain check I think.

I had one as a loaner for a month when the facelift model just came out. Average was 33mpg (though it did only have about 5k miles). Pick up was nice but the car itself didn't really leave me wanting.

I had a new shape 17 plate XFR sport from new. Stunning to look at but utterly hopeless in all other respects. I had it for around 6 months of which it spent 3 of those months at the dealers with them trying in vain to fix it. Dreadful electronics, archaic glitchy touch screen infotainment system and appalling service from the dealership.
I eventually sent it back for a full refund and a £800 compensation payment for my trouble.

Oh, and the 3.0 tdv6 discovery with 100 miles on the clock they loaned me as a courtesy car was of equally rubbish build. The first time it rained the footwells were an inch deep in water.
I’d wanted a new jag all my life..... I wouldn’t touch another if hell had me.
BMW or Mercedes all the way for me now.

My previous car was a 3.0 D Premium Luxury XF. It was a 2010MY and purchased with a very low mileage.
It was a great car to drive and certainly looked good, but mine suffered from several electrical glitches during my ownership.
However after being ripped off by my local Jaguar Main Dealer in Ayr for unnecessary suspension parts and Jaguar Cars refusing to accept that my door corrosion should be under warranty I just had enough and moved to Mercedes for the first time and have not regretted it.

For the record Jaguar eventually covered the cost to replace all four doors only after Auto Express became involved. Sadly the car was written off in a non fault accident just weeks after the new doors were fitted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom