2 cars, one driver insurance deals??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

V6GBJ

Car
GLC 43
My wife does now not want to drive anything bigger than her Fiesta and that's OK. However, I have two other and more expensive cars for which I could become the only driver. On pure logical grounds I could say that I need Comprehensive cover only for the car that I am driving at any particular time.The other would be in the garage and need only Fire and Theft cover. Has anyone any experience of being able to get a bespoke policy from an insurer or broker which would provide this kind of flexible cover for two cars? In theory, reducing the risk should reduce the policy premium but capitalism does not always work this way! Any experience or recommendation would be appreciated. Thanks folks. Gareth

My wife does now not want to drive anything bigger than her Fiesta and that's OK. However, I have two other and more expensive cars for which I could become the only driver. On pure logical grounds I could say that I need Comprehensive cover only for the car that I am driving at any particular time.The other would be in the garage and need only Fire and Theft cover. Has anyone any experience of being able to get a bespoke policy from an insurer or broker which would provide this kind of flexible cover for two cars? In theory, reducing the risk should reduce the policy premium but capitalism does not always work this way! Any experience or recommendation would be appreciated. Thanks folks. Gareth
Pretty much no insurance company wants to insure a car for anything other than fully comprehensive and if they did TPF&T would be more expensive. Your best bet, if the cars are similar risk categories, is a multi car policy.

I use LV=.
CLS55 Me as main driver + wife
Sorento Wife as main driver + me + daughter
Each car 8000 miles pa
Fully Comp
9+ years NCD on Sorento
2 years NCD on CLS
About £520 p.a all up.
Cheaper than VED on the Benz!

Isn't it cheaper anyway to have a 2nd driver on a policy? Subject to a clean licence of course!)

I would be surprised if you could get the policy you describe.

Get some prices on a multi car policy and play with the various combinations of fully comprehensive and third party fire and theft, and with you only or you both insured to drive. I don’t the saving with be worthwhile though.

If you are sensitive on price, ask if the insurer with match the greater No Claims Bonus, and also reduce the mileage on both cars to be as low as is realistic. Also try removing extras which may not be required eg business use.

I hope you find a solution.

TPF+T was useful in the olden days when we started driving in old sheds. Some people went TPO because their cars were worthless.

I think insurers today wonder why you would want TPF+T when most sheds have been sidelined by MOT and Euro rules. If you can't afford decent cover can you afford decent maintenance?

Since you will be doing in two cars the same overall annual mileage as you would in one car, try declaring a low annual mileage for each car.

I have a multi-car policy with Aviva, and their cheapest/lowest bracket is 4,000 miles per year. The premium goes up from there with the annual mileage.

I use admiral multicar, I insure a Skoda Octavia (commuting car with annual mileage at 14,000 miles) and the CLK430 (6,000 miles per year). It came in around £550 this year.

I’ve recently just had quotes for my two cars. My previous insurer elephant reduced my renewal premium by £1.18!! Thanks...

So obviously I went online and checked around..

Esure came up best for me this time with multicar policy, I also rang them up to ask a question but it worked out cheaper online and the call center employee told me to do that.
I added a friend to one of my cars and that brought the policy down further....

R129 320SL 4years NCB - £273 comprehensive
Smart Fortwo 1 years NCB - £311 comprehensive

Myself and my friend have clean licences .

I had quotes as high as £1500 for the two cars online with other insurers.

Best to use the comparison websites, try a few independent also for clarity on comparisons. If one car isn’t used much maybe a low mileage policy would be more suited.
Good luck

Error

I found in cheaper to add my wife to both my cars, even though in reality she will never drive them..

Multi car policies can provide significant savings....we are saving c£250 v individual policies

Theres no point quoting specific prices as everyone's circumstances are different. My experiences with trying multicast policies has not been good, I have a 2004 SL500 and a 2014 Audi S5, both very different cars with very different usage. Finding an insurer quoting a combined quote that beats 2 individual quotes has been impossible.

Many thanks for your varied inputs folks. I have done a couple of the things you recommended like limiting mileage, changing named drivers etc. I also took a look at multi-car policies and got quotes which were higher then individual policies from LV, but I do get some discounts from them because of holding car, house and travel policies with them.
There must be lots of people who have more than one car but only drive one at a time so I may keep looking. The risk taken by insurers is overwhelmingly to do with cars when they are being driven and not when they are garaged at home. Maybe some innovative and bold insurer will come up with something. Thanks again to all. Gareth

I run separate policies for our cars as multi-car policies haven't been cheaper for us. Saying that all our policies are ending in the next two weeks. I will only be renewing one with Direct Line until the Covid situation has settled.

Insurance is a farce and it's making me want to move postcodes. I get shafted each year multiple times :)

I run separate policies for our cars as multi-car policies haven't been cheaper for us. Saying that all our policies are ending in the next two weeks. I will only be renewing one with Direct Line until the Covid situation has settled.

Insurance is a farce and it's making me want to move postcodes. I get shafted each year multiple times :)
Do you mean you’re insuring with someone else or that you just won’t insure one car?

Reactions: AMV
I have a custom (broker arranged) policy that covers 3 cars (all high groups) for my wife and me, plus comp cover on any other car that we dont own and dont drive regularly. My wife uses that policy when she very very rarely drives the children's cars. Works well for us, and cheaper than Aviva multicar etc. Policy arranged through Aston Lark (who also do our business insurance and are excellent) - Business insurance is a motor trader policy (comand.co.uk) and thus that complicated the insurance for us to personally have comprehensive cover on any vehicle.

Sons policy (19 year old, on a VW polo) has him and me on it, adding more people increases premium. same as if its just him).

Cheers

Richard

Do you mean you’re insuring with someone else or that you just won’t insure one car?

I will be sorning 3 cars and insuring only one from end of the month onwards. All the policies were with different insurers with no mirrored NCD being allowed.... Zzz

try Admiral?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom