2 day old car - SORN - ok to drive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gridlock

MB Enthusiast
Car
C43 AMG
Hiya,

So if I buy a car that's SORN, and I'm waiting for the insurance cert to come through before I can buy tax, can I drive it? Will PC Plod accept "there's no way I could buy tax" under some sort of grace period, or do I have to wait it out? :(

It's insured and MOTd.

Cheers all,

Can you tax it online ?

You would be chancing your arm if you drive on SORN.

As LTD says, better to tax online. If the insurance cert has been actually issued, the DVLA will know about it - regardless of whether you have it in your hands. You can then tax it online. I take it that the car has a valid MOT cert?

At least then you definitely have legislation on your side. The car is actually taxed, if you go through one of those tax disc cameras - whether or not you are displaying. If you go through on SORN, then you are almost certainly buggered...

Even if you tax it online, and have all the other documentation, you still run the risk of being charged under 'Failure to display a current valid tax disc'.

I wouldn't take the risk personally. You have other vehicles to use.

Can't do it online as don't have the new V5 through yet, and it needs the doc reference number (which is tied to address).

Cheers all - grrr... :)

Even if you tax it online, and have all the other documentation, you still run the risk of being charged under 'Failure to display a current valid tax disc'.

I wouldn't take the risk personally. You have other vehicles to use.
if tax on line you got 5 days ,so you dont have to display tax disc

Can't do it online as don't have the new V5 through yet, and it needs the doc reference number (which is tied to address).

Patience young padawan.

Don't even keep it on the road.

About a year ago my son bought a car as an emergency run-about. Had to wait for the insurance to work through the system before he could tax it so it wasn't used, just kept on the road but with no tax disc.

Friendly traffic warden had it clamped as untaxed. If memory serves me correctly, it cost him an initial £180 to have it unclamped but got £100 returned as, when he got the tax disc, it covered the day when he was clamped.

There's something else you can use - can't remember but either the renewal notice or the MOT ref .

Didn't you get the 'new keeper' supplement that the seller is supposed to give you ? This also has the reference number on it for this very reason .

Unfortunately, until the DVLA records are updated through the postal system and manual data entry, won't it be seen online as still belonging to the previous owner?

Meaning that even if it's insured by the new keeper, it won't correlate against the new registered owner online just yet.

Will

Dont you ever take that chance until you got those 3 in place; ins, tax and MOT. You can take a chance there are load of ANPRs waiting for you to crush your car.:D

Unfortunately, until the DVLA records are updated through the postal system and manual data entry, won't it be seen online as still belonging to the previous owner?

Meaning that even if it's insured by the new keeper, it won't correlate against the new registered owner online just yet.

Will

And the DVLA will not let you licence it until it's in your name, or you have in your hand the V5 New Keeper supplement. I've just been through this due to a ****-up by Mercedes and had to take my CLK off the road for 2 days.

Patience young padawan.

of course there IS one way...

How proficient are you with the whole "This is not the vehicle you are looking for" thing? :cool:

of course there IS one way...

How proficient are you with the whole "This is not the vehicle you are looking for" thing? :cool:

I'm sure that's probably more illegal than not displaying a tax disc

Cheers all - seems really silly that there's no grace period for this, it's not like it's impossible to have a system that lets anyone buy tax for a car.

That's the wonderful thing about scameras though - I'd get a ticket, despite there being no way I could acquire tax but Osama Bin Laden would drive through in his taxed up Nissan Bluebird no trouble at all, Lord Lucan in the passenger seat...

Cheers all - seems really silly that there's no grace period for this, it's not like it's impossible to have a system that lets anyone buy tax for a car.

That's the wonderful thing about scameras though - I'd get a ticket, despite there being no way I could acquire tax but Osama Bin Laden would drive through in his taxed up Nissan Bluebird no trouble at all, Lord Lucan in the passenger seat...

I'd be inclined to nick as set of number plates off a Polish builder's car :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom