2 Internet connections

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
Howdy!

I know this is possible but I've never tried this before so I was wondering if I could recruit some advice. I'm quite unhappy with my ISP (virgin) and am thinking of swapping to BeThere.

That said, I don't like the whole idea of a month without internet - so I'm thinking of running both ISP concurrently for a few months (maybe even a year)

Any ideas on what the easiest way to merge the two lines; doing some load balancing over the two? I'm guessing my switch wont handle it too well(and older AT 8325GB)... At the moment I have an old compaq running Windows Server 2003; with 2 dual-network cards... I'm guessing this might handle it better than the switch...

But I'm really guessing here... ideas? Comments? Advice?

Michele

I think you're going to struggle Michele.

Actually, I think I posted too soon!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110219007848

Dual-wan ports, load balancing built in and it allows me to choose what traffic goes over what connection...

Its going to be a bit messy; but its cheap!

Fibre->Virgin->WAN0.Hawking
POTS->BeThere->Modem->WAN1.Hawking

LAN0.Hawking -> AT8325 (bridged)

AT8325 -> over to the rest of the house...

Total cost? about £40 for the dual-wan router (I have everything else lying about!)

BTW; one day I'll need to show you a picture of the Dell rack in the bedroom ;)

Michele

Just to clarify - I wasn't trying to combine the bandwidth, just balance over the two connections. I realise that getting two connections synch'ed at both ends is a pain... but with 2 connections balanced I could have one connection uploading the daily build while the second allows me to be productive and browse mbclub ;)

Michele

I'm not sure that supports true load balancing over two different networks...

Identical networks maybe, but it seems to be saying it'll allow you to route specific traffic via different ports and different interfaces only. (Nothing other than routing tables then).

Interesting though.

Michele

How about one connection on the router as present and the second on the 2003 server, then run a proxy server (freeproxy perhaps) on that and point what ever you want at it (e.g IE).

Load balancing between two IP's doesn't work too well for some sites that require a login - as they detect a change in IP and ask you to sign in again (mbclub being an example of this, orange webmail another and so on).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom