2 MAP OR NOT 2 MAP...........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teego

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS55 AMG
That is the conundrum, so please help with your experiences.
So, it's a CLS55 which is clearly not short of power or torque.
On the autobahnen last year it went totally batshit but couldn't get past 140mph because of traffic.
But I'm off to Germany again in August and the idea of a remap and limiter delete has been nagging at me.
I don't want to go the pulley route, just optimise what I've got. Decided I don't want a stock remap but a custom job on a dyno.
There are different views about what can be gained. Typically +50bhp and +80lb/ft.
So I called in to see Acid at MSL today. He thought +20bhp was the realistic number without going for pulleys etc. He did say that overall I'd get a more responsive driving experience and better shift times.
The question is, is +20bhp worth having on top of what the M113k motor is already putting out?

All opinions welcome.

P.S. Acid is looking forward to getting your car Dave.

I don't think 20bhp will be noticeable on a M113K lump.

As you suggest, not really worth it for a minimal gain. At least the man quoted you a realistic figure, unlike some who suggest massive gains...

Swapping pulleys is usually the preferred way with the supercharged engines though I can understand your reluctance to do this, especially as it's for what will be in effect a "one - off" experience. Split cooling may be worth a look at, especially for prolonged high powered runs, as this does tend to be the Achilles heel on the M113k.

go big or go home ...
how much quicker will the shift times be ... depending on price, could be worth it if it is quite cheap.

Might be worth getting a dyno run done to see what it’s putting out standard, then comparing to others MSL has done. If it’s at the lower end then a remap May reap you more than 20bhp, if it’s healthy then you’re in a good place, but the question is do you go for the extra bhp and optimised shifts.....

There is another reason for the new map, and this does not happen to all 55's but some 55 owners experience a stutter/jolt at the point of supercharger engage if that's the way to describe it, as the ecu detects the transition from N/A engine to supercharged engine the fueling map changes and i think from an open to closed cycle fuel system, the new maps produced today smooth out this transition.

Hope that makes sense

I just had to scratch my itch so took my stock 06 CLS55 to Mallory Performance (previously known as SpeedMinistry) for a remap this morning. I'd be interested in your opinions.

Pre-map BHP (corrected to DIN 70020) 447.7 Mapped BHP (ditto) 493.7

Pre-map Torque 530.2 lb/ft (718.6Nm) Mapped Torque 568.4 lb/ft (770.1Nm)

Max Speed Pre-map limited to 155mph/250kph. Max Speed on dyno derestricted 182.6mph / 294kph in 4th.

Phil mapped the car via the OBD port without physically touching the ECU. He wouldn't put it in 5th gear as he didn't want to run over 200mph.

The important thing is how the car feels after the remap. Struth, it's strong. So drivable. Instant throttle response from nowhere even with the box in Comfort. In Sport it's sensational. 80mph cruising is so relaxed. It'll happily drive at 1000rpm in 5th. Only driven 50 miles since so I'll have to adjust to it.

Looking forward to the German road trip in 4 weeks.

congrats , that sounds epic and I think that's a great amount of torque for a car of that weight. been spinning the tyres as yet ?

congrats , that sounds epic and I think that's a great amount of torque for a car of that weight. been spinning the tyres as yet ?
Gotta be careful. Coming off a roundabout with a bit of gas and the rear wants to step out even on today's sticky road. And I mean a little bit of gas - way less than quarter throttle.

Do you mind stating the cost please?

Do you mind stating the cost please?
I think today's price is £600 but they honoured a price I was quoted last November. They have a great dyno room with all live data screened into the waiting area so you can see what Phil is doing in real time.

Gotta be careful. Coming off a roundabout with a bit of gas and the rear wants to step out even on today's sticky road. And I mean a little bit of gas - way less than quarter throttle.

I bet you cant wait to try it out in the rain !

My experience of maps is limited to a couple of cars I’ve owned. One an RS Megane which was mapped to 260bhp and the other being my current E320 CDI.

Both are a marked improvement over standard. My E320 has a generic map which I’ve had nearly a year an 10-12k miles. I have no idea how much power it made before or since as no dyno run but it’s quick, not just old diesel quick but genuinely capable, plus it’s as good if not better on fuel!

As for a CLS55, they’re obviously not slow cars but if the vet can make a realistic increase in power and torque, perhaps have an even better throttle response, seems like a no brainier! :)

There is another reason for the new map, and this does not happen to all 55's but some 55 owners experience a stutter/jolt at the point of supercharger engage if that's the way to describe it, as the ecu detects the transition from N/A engine to supercharged engine the fueling map changes and i think from an open to closed cycle fuel system, the new maps produced today smooth out this transition.

Hope that makes sense

I would be interested to know if the op had experience of the shudder/jolt before/after the map and if it was there did it improve. I have that on my E55k and thought it was my acceleration pattern more than anything else. Is it common and is there any cure other than a remap

I would be interested to know if the op had experience of the shudder/jolt before/after the map and if it was there did it improve. I have that on my E55k and thought it was my acceleration pattern more than anything else. Is it common and is there any cure other than a remap
Never had that problem. It always hooked up clean. For me the problem has always been modulating the throttle off the line. More so now.

I bet you cant wait to try it out in the rain !
A little damp this morning. Traction control light was working overtime coming off slow roundabouts in second.
Still under 100 miles since the map but looks like good weather in the Peak District tomorrow so I'll learn more about it.

A little damp this morning. Traction control light was working overtime coming off slow roundabouts in second.
Still under 100 miles since the map but looks like good weather in the Peak District tomorrow so I'll learn more about it.

sounds great and nice place to drive around . Hope you get used to it. what is the suspension like , is it quite stiff or quite soft. i always find having my dampers in the stiffer settings makes a huge difference to the quality of slides.

I was in peak district mid June and it rained more heavily than I could have thought possible . a lack of visibility and some narrow roads ruined the experience somewhat , and no longer being used to 700nm to the rear tyres. After a few gentle wheel spins, I am ashamed to admit I actually drove in comfort mode. While im still not used to the car like I used to be , I went for a "spin" today and couldn't get over how much fun having much more power than grip is. Alas, it was dry outside , and my tyres are looking more compact...Hope you're enjoying the lack of grip !

Have to add to the positives on re-mapping generally, if you can make reasonable gains at a sensible price!

Now beginning to get the feel for mine after a Month or so since done at PCS with Eco Tuning (Celtic)...

As was promised the key two things for me are how it will continue to pull lustily all the way up to settling in seventh at whatever the terminal velocity may happen to be at the time (road conditions and legal limite pertaining of course!).

Had a lovely run from Mid Hants to Stansted this morning at 2 A.M. to drop off daughter...

Roughly 217 miles on computer there and back at approx 60 avge and if had not been for a tickle at the end would have made over 41 mpg, poss approaching 42...but ended at 39.1 ...the tickle was perhaps a bit more a full on grope of the throttle and wheel...and a test of her new found capabilities....as well as how well she is holding up at 107 and a bit now...with a coupla good trips to come in next Month or so.

No idea what a dyno would say...and as have mentioned elsewhere, advice received suggests that esp on auto not worth doing

Can highly recommend and good to hear others having positive experiences, though must say prices seem to vary a lot..mine £395 plus VAT..

Top tips if anyone reading this thinking of some way to increase power/efficiency from my research:

1. Watch out for the 'hotshot' backstreet pimper boys promising outrageous gains!
2. Better to re-map than chip
3. for some only, learn progressive throttling off roundabouts/bends or throttle those tyres! :)

Cheers remappers one and all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom