2 mins of your tme please - feedback on my business website

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AbbieCadabra

Car
E350CDI
i have my tin hat at the ready! :p

this is only my 1st attempt but i really want feedback on the content, from a 'customer' point of view please.

anything that would put you off? something else we should say?

fingers x'd, it SHOULD appear here...

http://glmjoineryltd.building.officelive.com/default.aspx

i've nabbed .co.uk & .com & am just waiting for the transfer, it's a freebie from OfficeLive at the moment but i'm hoping to get a designer sorted asap as i have very little idea about the marketing side of things.

thanks guys, i really appreciate your time ;)

Abbie

For me it took too long to load, so I shut it down, which if I was a customer would be what I would have done and moved onto the next result - business lost...

Well it's a lot better than mine that I spent an hour on!

Don't you need to list your company office's registered address on a page?

Mark, thanks, sort of!

this is NOT the finished article, i just want feedback on the CONTENT. i know loading time, especially on the pics, is awful. it won't be hosted from where it is now when it's completed.

Stats, same reply really :) it is our reg. address detailed, but probably needs to state that, which it will do, in the end...

** pops tin hat back on** :D

p.s. Stats, no problem with your 'holding' page, it's got everything it should have at the moment. that pic of an alloy looks like a scary face to me! (but then, i am a Girl! :D)

Last edited:
It looks good.. nice and simple.

The only thing that MAY put me off would be the picture:
"Kitchen Units, Solid Oak, Satin Finish, Blue Metallic Laminate"

as it doesnt look up to the standards of the rest, a bit ikea...

Just from where im sitting... i know nothing about joinery!

Are you a member of any guild/professional body.....if so, add that to your front page.

Maybe add a photograph of you and your team, for a more personal touch.

The images are very slow to load in the Gallery section....what are the resolutions

Good luck.

Front page
Photos

Don't like
Different size fonts
Changing page size

At least it's up, and wip

I was just about to say.. its always nice to have a photo of the team when its something like this..

Hello

1) Picture gallary took too long, its sad but we almost expect things to laod instantly and if not we move on. I had a message saying someing like 'error loading' while they did load?

2) Being picky the pictures are not level, crop them and ajust them, also having the book case packed off stuff take your eye off the quality?

3) You want to show close ups of the joins, its the quality that you want to use to sell this over and above say B & Q. Ask your self why would I choose you to commision a piece of furniture.

4) Keep with the times, maybe worth having some flat screen TV cabinets on show with space for your AV equipment.

5) Example prices? I've no idea if the book case is £200 or £2000

Agree picture of You and Colleague out side premises with tools of trade or similar (next to your van etc..) On the front page would be a nice touch.

Sorry to be picky but you did ask for feedback.

Web site load was instantaneous for me, except the gallery pictures that were only a little slowish.

The site gives a good impression of what you do. I can't help but wonder how much some of the things cost, but I guess you want me to ring up for a quote?

i have my tin hat at the ready! :p

this is only my 1st attempt but i really want feedback on the content, from a 'customer' point of view please.

anything that would put you off? something else we should say?

fingers x'd, it SHOULD appear here...

http://glmjoineryltd.building.officelive.com/default.aspx

i've nabbed .co.uk & .com & am just waiting for the transfer, it's a freebie from OfficeLive at the moment but i'm hoping to get a designer sorted asap as i have very little idea about the marketing side of things.

thanks guys, i really appreciate your time ;)

Abbie

Loaded up instantly for me as did all the images no problem and I'm at work on a slow network connection, just a couple of comments.

You might want to add copyright text to the bottom of your pages so people don't steal your designs and ideas.

Might be worth expanding the "about us" section when I go on websites it always gives me more confidence when I see actual people their qualifications and experience. I have just done this booking an Apartment in Gran Canaria for a holiday, website had the receptionist , bartender, Reastaurant manager etc on and brief biogs, made an online enquiry, the receptionist called me back, so Impressed I booked there and then.

Otherwise it's a great effort mate well done. :bannana:

change the telephone numbers over -- put office first or it gives the impression you are a one man band...

I do like the quality of the pieces.... not over keen on the kitchen but can see it is well made....perhaps the image of the bar should be photographed when all the room is decorated....

Last edited:
Loaded in a few seconds for me. Quicker than most.
Also, the workmanship looked impressive.
But its a very competative field at the moment and prices need to be keen to attract business.
A few builder friends of mine say that getting work isnt too difficult, its extracting the money from the clients afterwards thats the problem.
Also, a popular ploy to delay payment is to nit-pick over little points like tiny scratches and the like. A neighbour of mine was employed to wallpaper 3 rooms and after doing it, the clients moaned so much about "quality of workmanship" they demanded a reduction in price. He agreed, just to get some money coming in and ended up working all week for about £80 profit.
Being self employed sometimes isnt all its cracked up to be.

i certainly did ask! keep 'em coming :)

this is very interesting & VERY useful. it's a whole new world this marketing lark & i'm learning stuff every day...

Abbie

Pat on the back for what you have done so far, its sounds like we are having a pick at it..but until you ask people you don't know.

It is a great 1st attempt and will not take much to make it better.

Incidently how much for example would the book case be? If you don't want to disclose on here PM me.

Thanks

Abbie

Pat on the back for what you have done so far, its sounds like we are having a pick at it..but until you ask people you don't know.

It is a great 1st attempt and will not take much to make it better.

Incidently how much for example would the book case be? If you don't want to disclose on here PM me.

Thanks

pick away! seriously, i really do want/need good ol' honest feedback. i'm learning that letting my 'baby' out into the real world can be an 'odd' experience to say the least! i feel like i'm back in school again :eek: , & it's a huge learning curve i'm on just now. onwards & upwards...:rock:

now, in my best secretarial type voice,
"bookcase Sir? i will find out & get back to you asap" :)

I think its mostly good.

All pages loaded quickly apart from the fancy scripting for the gallery page which took a while to load.

I also liked the simple layout which made navigation nice and easy and focused on the key information a customer would be interested in.

If I were to be critical, I'd look at font sizes and pagination of some of the text and perhaps spend some time playing with colour pallets to get the best feel as I don't think that shade of blue best suits the image or type of work you are doing.

One thing to consider is Search Engine Optimisation. Static pages never rank highly so consider how you could introduce some kind of regular updates or changes to the site. Maybe customer referrals or something as you do more work... something to think about anyway.

The picture that I was most impressed with was the Ash staircase - simply stunning piece of joinery.

If you really have no experience - as you claim then this is certainly a very good achievement.

Thats the good bit outta the way... :)

Points as raised by others as well:

• The website loaded up at an acceptable pace (depends on hosting co and user speed)
  • The Gallery took too long to load - common issue with pic manipulation.
  • Colour scheme is ok
  • The Navi buttons on the left need to be ordered correctly
  • Fonts need to be changed and consistent
  • The phone numbers need to be reversed as landline/Office number should be primary
  • Picture of you and team /Van? to give it the personal touch
  • Customer comments sections - from satisfied customers

Generally speaking:

Do you have a company logo? if not you should look into it...
Why have a 01332 landline and 0871 fax number?

just a few thoughts... ;)

- Was!

Loaded fine and looks good, few things i would suggest are:

Pictures, try and keep them the same size (width and height), and the same with fonts. It will help to keep the design looking structured.

Company logo, do you have one? People like to see these and the hope for you is that they start to recognise it from the net/adverts/vans etc.

Copy on the web pages. Some of the copy could be re-written to sound a little 'punchier' as people have a short attention span for reading (especially on screen).

Use of capitals. Not needed for every word, even in titles. Removing little barriers like these will encourage fuller reading and therefore understanding of you and what you offer.

My job is copy writing/marketing design, so if you want me to review one of the pages properly for you just let me know in a PM.

The above is critical (as requested!) though as I think overall it's very good. Describes who you are, what you do and the quality of the work looks high.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom