2 Week Cruise

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by trainer, Sep 25, 2010.

1. trainer

trainer MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C32 AMG - Sold October 2013
    Today is the day we get bussed down to Southampton for a 2 week Mediterranean cruise.

It is our first proper cruise so we have 8 cases between us and empty wardrobes. We are stopping at Gibraltar, Villlefranche, Livorno, Cittivechia, Cagliari, Cadiz, Lisbon and some others I have forgotten.

I am hoping to refresh my climbing skills on the wall and finally get to stand on a surfboard even if the wave isn't real.

I will post pictures when we get back if they are good enough.

2. Druk

Druk MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
    Have fun. :thumb:

3. rizzer

rizzer Active Member

Car:
    120 Dualiner
    We've been thinking about going on a Mediterranean cruise for the last couple of years. We havent done a cruise before. It will be interesting to see your pics and what you thought of it. Have a good time. :thumb:

4. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler MB Club Veteran

Car:
    ML AMG-line Black Series
    Fantastic. Have a great time.

5. Meldrew2

Meldrew2 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mine: BMW X4 2.0d M-Sport & BMW 420d M-Sport+ Cabrio Hers: BMW X1 2.0d M-Sport (sorry, guys)
    Gibraltar has many points of interest - but don't book a tour, because they cost a fortune. Loads of taxis by the ship, and it's a shortish (but steep uphill) walk to the town.

Villefranche is a beautiful little town. A lot of people take the train to Monte Carlo or Nice but there is a lovely promenade with a few cafes and super views.

Livorno is an absolute dump. The cruise ship docks in the industrial port and it's half a mile to even get out the gates. Recommendation - take a coach tour to Pisa.

Civitaveccia is another industrial port - but there is usually a port shuttle bus. You can pay a fortune for a coach tour to Rome, or you can go by train for a fraction of the price. See the "ports" page on cruisecritic.co.uk for more information, from those who have done it.

Cagliari, Sicily, is simply beautiful.

Be on deck as the ship sails in / out of Lisbon, the bridge that you sail under (just!) is beautiful.

Sorry, I've not been to Cadiz.

I guess you are on a RC ship... Independence of the seas? If so, the "Chops Grille" restaurant is well worth the supplement to eat there once. Superb steaks and classy service.

The surf pool is amazing.

Enjoy!

6. SL300-24

SL300-24 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2007 CLS 320CDI,1984 500SL, 2007 E320 CDI Sport Estate, 1991 230TE
    Enjoy it sounds great......We are doing our first one in a few weeks, Leaving Port Canaveral in Florida, visting the Bahamas..... Nassau and Freeport.....only 5 days but we can't wait! Anyone done this trip?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  7. Merco

Merco Active Member

Car:
    C200 Exec SE Estate
    I think Elton John and Bono have houses in Vilefranche so keep 'em peeled for a bit of shleb-shpotting!

8. MD5

MD5 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    wme451 a124 r129 s211 r230 w251
    Joan Collins also has a place in Cap Ferat (facing, in the picture), round the corner. Driving along the coast, as we turned into Villefranche bay, we were treated to this liner (Voyager of the Seas) doing a 180 to go back out to sea!

[​IMG]

9. RichardM

RichardM MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2011 CLS350 CDI
    I'm guessing it will be. We went on it just after it launched and had a great time.

10. Meldrew2

Meldrew2 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mine: BMW X4 2.0d M-Sport & BMW 420d M-Sport+ Cabrio Hers: BMW X1 2.0d M-Sport (sorry, guys)
    So does Tina Turner - but it's within a securely gated compound.

I could tell you the code to the gates, but I'd have to kill you :dk:

11. joe1984

joe1984 Member

Car:
    E320 Avantgarde
    Bon Voyage!

12. crankiejohn

crankiejohn Active Member

Car:
    2002 180 elegance auto estate
    i have just returned today after a12 day cruise on the ocean countess from liverpool,had a great time force 8 in bay of biscay wasnt to good though have fun:)

13. joe1984

joe1984 Member

Car:
    E320 Avantgarde
    The Bay of Biscay is a nightmare, luckily I don't get motion sick but my wife does.

I think I might start chucking after 8 days though!

14. OP
    OP
    trainer

trainer MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C32 AMG - Sold October 2013
    Well we made it back - not quite the intended way.

The cruise was great and the boat is amazing - next size up from the one in MD5's picture above.

Gibraltar was good especially my run from the port up the rock and back. I went off track on the descent and hit at dead end at one point.

Villefranche was stunning to wake up to. We were side on filling the bay. A lovely steak tartar was to be had ashore.

At Livorno we headed for Lucca and were pleased with the choice. It is a lovely place that we will go back to.

At Civvitavechia we headed for Tarquinia as father in law didn't want a long journey. Bad choice but I would rather spend day in Rome not hours.

Cagliari was great. We went on the trip to Nora, the vineyard and Cagliari's old town. It was all good with excellent food and wine at the vineyard.

Cadiz is great to walk round and if you follow the lines painted on the ground you have your own guided tour.

Lisbon was great. We went to Benfica as a treat for the eldest son. It was great even for a not so football fan like me - excellent food in the stadium restaurant. Leaving the port I played volleyball under the gaze of the statue of Christ and watched the funnels skim the underside of the 25th April bridge. I might be one of few people who have played volleyball under the gaze of the statue of Christ in both rio and Lisbon!

The sea was choppy overnight and Mrs Trainer and father in law were not happy bunnies. So much so that when the weather was predicted to be worse for the journey from Vigo to Southampton we left the ship. Yes we left the ship.

We made our own way back via taxi to Madrid, sleeper train from Madrid to Paris and then to London via Eurostar and Pendolino to Stoke. A real adventure.

http://s592.photobucket.com/albums/tt3/clive1966/Cruise 2010

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
Tags: