2 year old C Class Coupe paint problem!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As we are all doing updates here is mine, My problem came back in November just on the roof so by now that's it had enough I emailed MB UK with in 3 days the dealer where I bought the car rang me up very sorry to to here I have had all this trouble going back to October 2014 to get straight to the point I said I want out of this car he agreed now I have a car which is 2 years newer better spec because it is a PLUS , LOW MILAGE ,AND NO EXTRA MONEY AND ITS NOT RED its POLAR WHITE pick the car up on Thursday fingers crossed I have better luck with this one as i don't think there are any problems with white

Last edited:
That is so good to hear, am well pleased for you.

I gave up my search when I began to read this thread, then came back as I thought about an SLK instead. I have now settled upon an SLK in ..... Polar White - so our paths are running parallel once again.

Good luck with your replacement.

And another Red measles outbreak here too :(
Only 1 month into Mercedes ownership, I'm tempted to give it back, but as a package I still like it and it does look fab in this colour.

Went to Lookers in Crawley today, over 80% of panels effected in some way or another. I'm concerned though, as they said about sending it to the Maidenhead body shop for a full, back to metal respray. And with previous experiences (jonnymerc) commented upon, I am more than a little wary of my Merc going there!
Anybody had any luck getting their cars resprayed, either outside of the dealer network, or by alternative Sussex/Surrey/Kent based Mercedes bodyshops and had excellent service and results?

I don't want to go through this again in my tenure of this car and I tend to keep my vehicles for at least 3-5years before moving on.

Thanks for your thoughts :)

Last edited:
Well, I am sad to say that the spots appear to be back on my car and I don't know what to do anymore. I'll have to double check tomorrow after I get the car cleaned but it definitely looked like the spots were back on the boot lid when I looked before in the car park.

If you have followed this thread, you will know Mercedes have tried to fix the problem 3 times now and it appears they have failed.

Off to contact MB customer services and see what they say.

3x OMG!
Was that a back to metal full body respray each time or panel respray patchwork? Was the work carried out by a Mercedes bodyshop or a Mercedes accredited indipendant bodyshop?

I fully understand the possible reasons for the occurance of this affliction of ours, but what I don't understand is there must be 100+ different similar shades of red used by different manufacturers and they don't seem to the same issue. Also different paint suppliers must be used by different garages too. So, is it the exact shade of paint that causes the UV rays to accelerate the blistering? Or the paint suppliers that Mercedes spray shops use. Has anybody had a better (longer lasting) experiance using accredited bodyshops due to the use of an alternative paint product. Or is it still all down to poor prep and moisture encapsulation? Surley, there can't be an industry wide failure of this colour application!?
It can't be a million miles of Ferrari Corsa Red. How many blistered Ferraris do you see?

So many unanswered questions and such little honest disclosure from Mercedes as to what the numbers of cars affected are and the exact scientific reason behind the failure of this particular colour. Yes, they have admitted to me that there is an issue with this colour and have been very helpful and proactive in supporting the claim thus far. Though, I have decided to go outside of the dealer network to see if an indipendant can do a better job? Anybody had any dealings with Apollo group? Or Apollo Prestige Chichester?
I'm now in possession of a list of all the Mercedes accredited spray/bodyshops in the UK, time to go on a road trip ;)

I don't have all the answers. I don't even understand how is this even possible.
The car went to MB Bolton which is not owned by Mercedes but it has its own body shop. Thinking about it, MB Manchester would have been a better choice as they are owned by MB UK but I am sure they use the same equipment and have the same procedures.
When the car was resprayed the third time, I asked if they have striped the panels down to the metal and they said they had done. I asked how could the problem reappear if they had done this. They could not say but hinted of a panel replacement as the only way to 100% solve the problem. I can see this as a solution on the boot lid but not in the rest of the car panels.

As I said before, I am getting the car washed today to see the extent of the issue and think about my options.
:( :( :(

Last edited:
A word of caution re Apollo. Our SLK is in Fire Opal and despite being 10yrs old the paintwork is as new. However a minor no fault accident damaged the front bumper. Apollo at Kingsfold were the insurers approved repairer. The work was quite frankly terrible. Returned the car still having a crack in the bumper and orange peel paintwork with overspray on the lights. Took it back and they almost accused me of having damaged it again! Went to collect it the second time - still not good and had to stand over their guy while he sorted out the terrible finish. Chichester might be better but who knows. If you are in Horsham its worth talking to Andy Elliot at AE Carcraft in Mannings Heath. Does not look much of a place but he is very knowledgeable and paint finish is brilliant. He has done lots of work for us over the years always with first class results

Ok, so I've had a productive morning on the phone. Thanks for the lead GB801 for AE Carcraft. That was my first call, no joy, but a lead onto SL Restorations in Crawley was another pointer from AE Carcraft. They used to be part of the MB acredited network but pulled out after many years back in January 2015, shame as they were local and knew their stuff. I read through the South East area body shop list with SL and he acknowledged that MotorCraft Kent were a good place to go for a "proper job". So I will be paying them a visit next at some stage. Ironically they take work from MB - Sidnum, Orpington and Dartford. And their assesor had been out to see 3 opal fire red MB's this week!

Hi guys. I've just got a Mercedes c class coupe AMG sport plus in flame red. And I think I may have this issue also.

I've taken a picture of the slight imperfection. Is this the same issue?

312488b190a05f4e96e7e5793b8b9f14.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I take it you are talking about the paint imperfection about an inch in from the door edge?
Looks like a dodgy repair to me, or a factory imperfection during manufacture :( but I doubt whether that would have passed QC on the production line.
Best bet is to get a local paint shop or you MB dealer to run a paint depth guage over it to see whether it is a repair or original paintwork. Original paint shoul be between 90-130 microns thick (so I've been told & observed)
Best pic of "micro blisters" courtesy of Haroon
image.jpg1_zpsikcsqx8n.jpg

Last edited:
Update: After a detailed wash I cannot say if the blisters are back or not. I had a good look and I could not tell conclusively. I think I might be going crazy and seeing things, at least that is what my wife is saying ;)

Hello all,

So I have this on my 2012 red Coupe. Which is the best dealer (that will understand and do something) to take it to in the Surrey area? Cheers!

Hi
Sorry to hear this problem has appeared on your car also , This has become a big problem for Mercedes , I would suggest you go back to the dealer who sold you the car and start there .But this could be a long drawn out affair I should know GOOD LUCK WITH IT keep reporting how your getting on it will help others with FIRE OPAL RED :doh:

Cheers John.

I bought it from MB World in Kent, so not an MB Dealer!

However, I'm going to try my luck with Merc Guildford and fingers crossed, something will be done. Will update later tonight.

Good news... Been to my local MB Dealer. The Bodyshop Advisor said that he was aware of this problem and mine would be the sixth car he's had in. He currently has two in the body shop as we speak. Got to take it in for a paint check next week and then he said it should be a case of 2-3 weeks in the body shop. Absolutely no problems at all.

So if anyone has the same problem... Just go in and no doubt they will sort this out now.

Interesting Shandyruss, I follow with interest. I'm still have yet to get my car to my chosen accredited bodyshop in Tunbridge Wells. They also are dealing with 3 other red Mercedes coming from dealerships, but! They are comenting that the warrantee claims departments of the Mercedes dealerships are not giving them enough time to complete the job "properly"! Not enough man hours for a strip out, strip off, paint and rebuild. If they don't give them enough time to do mine A1 - Mercedes can have it back! :mad:

We will wait and see. No doubt if the Bodyshop they use are used to this kind of job, they should be allocated enough time by now. And they should be stripping these in a few mins... Haha! I'll let you know next week what happends and how long they want it.

If it's a back to bare metal respray like mine and others have been told, you and I with our Pan roofs and a full glass out and accessory remove and refit is an expert and lenghy procedure. I'm not looking forward to the new squeaks and rattles from refitted trims and seals :(
It would be interesting to know the number of hours they quote for your job?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom