2 year old C Class Coupe paint problem!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mine was done at Manchester and they were exceptional.

Thats good to know, how long did the procedure take all in all? From photos? To getting the car back painted. Oh and what did you get as a courtesy car? I don't they will give me another c63 to drive in.

Body shop courtesy cars are plain and low spec from my experience. I got a A180 which was good enough for the job.
They work took a couple of weeks but it took them over a month to get the MB approval for work. It came back perfect though. They even re-applied the paint protection it had when it was new FOC. The wings were done without me mentioning it.

Anyone heard back from Germany? I had my inspection on 7th December and my dealership are still saying no confirmation back from Germany unfortunately. I suspect it wasn't sent to Germany until the new year, given the UK process before sending it to Germany... Just wondered if anyone else had any success?

It should only take a few days for an answer to come back once the request has been sent, it's the bit before that takes the time. Even with the time consuming process it seems like they are taking too long.
I would chase them if I were you.

Have chased numerous times and each time Germany hasn't responded...

my dealership who has placed the request keep saying there is nothing they can do because they're a franchised dealer and therefore outside of the company... I imagine there's a little element of truth there, but at the end of the day in a way they are the customer too.

I would ring customer services, it doesn't take this long for a request to go in and come back again.

Mine took 3 weeks if I remember correctly for the approval and the actual work took 2 months

I had my car serviced today at Manchester Mercedes-Benz, whilst I was there I thought I would ask if a reply had come back from Germany and to my amazement it had. They have approved the work. The girl from the bodyshop is going to phone me on Monday morning to get it booked in. It took around 2 and half weeks to get an answer.

Mine took 3 weeks if I remember correctly for the approval and the actual work took 2 months

Wow it took them two months? What gives? I've been quoted two weeks and thats working on my c63 pp which has extra stuff, the spoiler, the decals etc

Wow it took them two months? What gives? I've been quoted two weeks and thats working on my c63 pp which has extra stuff, the spoiler, the decals etc

Was meant to take a month initially, then was told that paint was delayed so it was gona take another couple of weeks and when I went to collect the car, there was a small bit approx the side of a 5P coin missing paint on the passenger size A pillar and the car was covered in swirl marks. The agreed to fix the bit with the missing paint but didnt want to machine polish it to remove the swirl marks so had to politely point out to them that as the whole car has been resprayed, they caused the scratches in the fresh paint thus it's their responsibility, had an argument in the showroom and they finally agreed.

By the time those bits were fixed, it took 2 moths in total. I didn't mind too much as the paint job looks good and I had a few nice cars to drive whilst it was being fixed.

Good to hear you guys are getting results :)

Who is best to escalate my case? Customer services at the dealer? Customer Services MBUK? If so how do I contact MBUK and which details would I need to give?

Good to hear you guys are getting results :)

Who is best to escalate my case? Customer services at the dealer? Customer Services MBUK? If so how do I contact MBUK and which details would I need to give?

Just googled Mercedes customer service and this came up: +44-20-7660-9993

Just tell them there there is a manufacturing defect with your paintwork and you're waiting for approval from Germany for it to be rectified and why it's taking so long?

They will probs contact the dealership to get an update. You could also ask the dealership when they sent the request cos they may have not bothered sending it quickly.

Don't worry about it as it's a known issue and they don't seem to be shying away from fixing it, also it doesn't look brilliant but it won't start rusting or anything if it takes a bit longer than expected!

Thank you, I have found there email address as I don't have time to sit on the phone and explain the situation, plus I always forget to add important info when I'm on the phone...

Hopefully they can help escalate the issue or find out when my claim was actually placed on the system as I suspect my dealership took their time. I have noticed what looks like water marks on the base paint, where my lacquer has peeled off, but not sure if that disappears or not.

C250 AMG Paint problems

Hi I also have the the same paint problem on my C250 AMG. I first noticed the problem three years ago and to be fair my Merc agent have done there best to sort it. They have probably had my car on and of for two months in total but always gave us a curtesy car. It is now our third service and I have noticed the red paint problem is back and they have informed me they are now after three years of trying to rectify it. They are going to completely strip the car paint down to the metal and spray the hole car. I don't think I'm happy with this idea because I am worried how it will tern out and if I wanted to re-sell the car at a later date people would say it has had a re-spray. This would I believe effect the price. I think as others have said Merc have a problem and should re-call affected cars and extchange them for new.

Hi I also have the the same paint problem on my C250 AMG. I first noticed the problem three years ago and to be fair my Merc agent have done there best to sort it. They have probably had my car on and of for two months in total but always gave us a curtesy car. It is now our third service and I have noticed the red paint problem is back and they have informed me they are now after three years of trying to rectify it. They are going to completely strip the car paint down to the metal and spray the hole car. I don't think I'm happy with this idea because I am worried how it will tern out and if I wanted to re-sell the car at a later date people would say it has had a re-spray. This would I believe effect the price. I think as others have said Merc have a problem and should re-call affected cars and extchange them for new.
You should re-assured from others who have had total resprays done by MB under warranty that this is the best solution. Prospective buyers who are aware of the problem will actually be wanting to check its had a total respray before buying. You are more likely to loose a sale if it hadn't.

Good to see you have had a compliant dealer, I personally think a full re-spray three years after purchase is nothing but a blessing, and as Grober said it'll reassure the clued up next owner, whether private or trade in!

I think an exchange for new would be a tad excessive and would cost more to MB than to just fix the problem.

If the problem is with the basecoat then the only solution is to take the panels back to substrate and repaint totally, but re-painting won't include the bumpers or any dents that may need repairing. Any good paintshop will probably give a good price for the extra bits when it's there, then you can have a pristine car at the end.

Well I had some good news today, though not what I expected!

I spoke to MBUK in Milton Keynes today and they had been told by my local dealership that they apologise, but they hadn't sent the case to Germany yet, despite them repeatedly telling me that they had and that they were taking a long time to hear back from Germany!

So they lied to me repeatedly and after every lie they still didn't submit the case!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom