2 years and 40000 miles of leased C250CDi costs write up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pjs

Car
C250cdi Coupe, Audi S5 Cab
2 years of leasing a C250 AMG Sport ED125 CDI [that’s what the V5 says] come to an end tomorrow when the nice men from BCA collect my car. I thought it might be helpful to write a concise review as possible by way of helping other forum members, especially with reference to costs.

I used a broker called Niche whose advert caught my eye advertising said car at under £400 a month inc VAT. The reality was that by the time I’d dialled in a total of 40000 miles and asked them to track one down with full leather and heated seats, it came in at £493 a month on a 3 + 23 basis. On top of this was a £150 arrangement fee and £180 acceptance fee by Mercedes – who is who provided the car. It did not include RFL or servicing.

The actual process of paperwork, signing up, etc was dead easy, and car was delivered to my home. I wrote a post on this some time shortly after getting the car. The process of returning the car is so far equally painless, it was ‘pre-inspected’ last week with no additional costs indentified.

So total costs incurred over two years have been

Finance = £13138 ( inc arrangement & acceptance fees)
Servicing A + B service = £524
Front Disk and Pads = £290
One set of tyres = £690
Cost of winter tyre set less resale value = £430
RFL = £240
Insurance = £900
Fuel 4636 litres at ave £1.40 = £6490 [ave 39.2mpg]
Smart repair bumper scuff £110

Total £22812 for 39960 miles = 56.3p/mile.

Would it have been cheaper to buy? – I don’t think so – a £37k list ( say £34k after discount] would have depreciated by approx £16k to a trade of £18k [Similar cars are for sale around £20k] and I would have incurred finance costs on top. I’m pretty sure that these lease deals became much cheaper during 2012 as well.

I can also dispel a few myths I think.
- The V5 is in my name
- You can get an option to buy price but you need to do this through a thirds party
- The return standards are quite reasonable condition wise.

Its been fairly ‘painless’ ownership, just 4 recalls [2 for wiring looms and 2 for coolant leaks] but the dealers have been poor. I didn’t test drive it either! Simply watched the Autocar 90 sec video.

Overall, the car is good, not great. Top five things I like are the Driving position, Steering wheel, Command, Active headlights & economy. Top five dislikes are DAB reception, Gearbox in anything other than ‘E’ – the flaps are pointless, Noise at idle & with stop start, and when pushing it - it doesn’t really reward the keen driver.

So its done the job needed, 2 years of pain free decent motoring, and whoever buys this car will have got a good one. Its back to BMW for me now though, big discounts and 3.9apr of the F30 3 series beckon.

Attachments

• last merc.JPG
    last merc.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 46
I suspect you would have got a greater discount than £3k if purchasing and also think you are correct about lease costs having firmed up now.

Overall, it reads well.

Sounds good, but I'd be one of those looking to pick up that now depreciated car. As you say - they'd still be getting a good one.

I would deduct the cost of your fuel to give a true indication of costs of the car.

Great write up!

I suspect you would have got a greater discount than £3k if purchasing and also think you are correct about lease costs having firmed up now.

Overall, it reads well.

I pushed hard for a deal on mine (same vintage) and got about £6.5k off list (paid cash).

Finance = £13138 ( inc arrangement & acceptance fees)

This is the base part of your 'ownership' that interests me the most.

Leasing/hiring a new car does seem relatively cheap and it really, genuinely does entice me at times, but to pay over £13k to drive a car for two years and end up with nothing at the end just kills it for me; my business orientated mind would much rather (if I had to) borrow say £11k from a bank over two years (paying back roughly the same amount as what you did over the same term) and end up with a car worth £6-7k having put 40k miles on the clock.
Something like this; 2009 Mercedes Benz C Class C220 CDI Sport 4dr Auto 4 door Saloon | eBay

I do understand that leasing etc does work for many people (those £280 a month SLK CDi's for a start) but I suppose I'm simply one of those people that just don't get it.

But that's not fair comparing new with second hand.

I am of the same mindset as you but can understand for those that have to have a brand new vehicle, this looks a very attractive way to do that.

But that's fine if you want to be driving around in a 4 year old car. Cars get refreshed and renewed so often these days that it'll look and feel older than that.

Driving a new car has value in itself, for me at least.

But that's not fair comparing new with second hand.

I am of the same mindset as you but can understand for those that have to have a brand new vehicle, this looks a very attractive way to do that.

I'm not saying my way is right, it's just that the OP's very detailed costings sort of put it into black and white.

I also fully understand the dangers of buying second hand and ending up with a dog, so it's not always so clear cut.

Driving a new car has value in itself, for me at least.

Yes but not all of us can lease a new SL for £40 a month like some! ;)

I don't think anyone has ever tried to make the case for leasing a new car over buying a used one, that'll be insane as of course on the £££ aspect the used car will win every time :)

This is the base part of your 'ownership' that interests me the most.

Leasing/hiring a new car does seem relatively cheap and it really, genuinely does entice me at times, but to pay over £13k to drive a car for two years and end up with nothing at the end just kills it for me; my business orientated mind would much rather (if I had to) borrow say £11k from a bank over two years (paying back roughly the same amount as what you did over the same term) and end up with a car worth £6-7k having put 40k miles on the clock.
Something like this; 2009 Mercedes Benz C Class C220 CDI Sport 4dr Auto 4 door Saloon | eBay

I do understand that leasing etc does work for many people (those £280 a month SLK CDi's for a start) but I suppose I'm simply one of those people that just don't get it.

I didn't get it. I used to buy ex-demonstrators, run them for a couple of years then trade in.
The depreciation we suffered over the last few years was very little more that a lease on a brand new SLK. The new car comes with the benefit of 3 year warranty, brand new tyres, etc, etc.
Now I get it for running a relatively new car.
To take more of a risk on a 3 to 4 year old car would get the costs down, but doesn't suit us at the moment.

I don't think anyone has ever tried to make the case for leasing a new car over buying a used one, that'll be insane as of course on the £££ aspect the used car will win every time :)

I agree, like I mentioned earlier; it's just seeing that seeing the actual costs in black and white bring it home. (I was a whisker away from ordering a brand new facelift E350 CDi Sport about a month ago but just couldn't get over the mental hurdle to commit:eek:)

Very good write up, there are not many good posts like this that cover all the costs.

One thing I would say is that the discount you mentioned is low. I got over £10k off mine and just got £6 off a brand new e350 cdi. Deals are there if you want to look at pcp over lease...

Thanks for the comments chaps, and glad it's provoked some debate. I appreciate the act of spending £13k for nothing to show over two years is not everyones cup of tea, and we do of course all have different budgets and priorities.

My take on it is if I reduced that cost to say £7k by buying an older and slower depreciating car, I reduce the overall 2 year cost to me from approx £23k to £17k, but then incur higher running costs, and expense of an additional warranty and the 'feel good' factor of knowing the history of the car - knowing its not been in an accident, etc. So overall I save perhaps 25%.

As it happens I'm not leasing my next car although I have leased before and probably will do again. For me it has to be the right deal at the right time. The true cost of motoring is rarely calculated beyond man-maths.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom