2 years in my SL65

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bieldside

Car
Merc SL65 , Porsche 991.2 Targa 4s , Porsche 9934s, S65 Cabriolet
It’s almost two years since I saw and began to negotiate the purchase of my SL65 AMG
Can’t say I’ve ever regretted buying it
And I can say it’s highly unlikely I’ll ever sell it
V12 , in excess of 600 bhp
Beautiful interior

A car that MB doesn’t make anymore

Which I find sad ... the demise of the V12 !

Glad the V12 is carrying on, can't say I'll ever have one, but nice to know there still there. :)

Glad the V12 is carrying on, can't say I'll ever have one, but nice to know there still there. :)
The V8 now does much of what the V12 used to do - whether that’s refinement, power/torque, image or a combination of factors - which makes the V12 even more difficult to justify for manufacturers given the current economic and environmental situation, but the motoring world would be a poorer place without it.

^ I wonder what Mercedes AMG could have achieved using a V10, like Audi and BMW had in the past.:devil:

Aahhh
But you don’t get the V12 badge !
That’s the attraction
Oh and the quilted leather seats

does that sound shallow !!!!

The V8 now does much of what the V12 used to do - whether that’s refinement, power/torque, image or a combination of factors - which makes the V12 even more difficult to justify for manufacturers given the current economic and environmental situation, but the motoring world would be a poorer place without it.

[pedantic mode ON]

V8 can never be as refined as V12 because of the odd firing order.

[OFF]

Agree with the rest.

[pedantic mode ON]

[OFF]

Agree with the rest.

Was just thinking the same thing

I would dearly love to own a naturally aspirated Merc V12 at some point and/or a jag V12 - nothing comes close for refinement IMO

[pedantic mode ON]

[OFF]

Agree with the rest.
I agree with your inner pedant, a V12 is inherently more refined than a V8, but my comment was that despite it’s disadvantage a V8 can be engineered to be so refined that the cost and effort of building a V12 is difficult to justify for motor manufacturers.

You sit in
You push the start button
Boom ... the exhaust kicks in , the car slightly shudders
You select drive and it’s ready to go - a bit too ready sometimes
A proper car I’d say

but then I would

The inherent anomaly of a V8 cross plane crank is where the burble is derived (effectively it’s a sign of inefficiency).

I love this kind of inefficiency :D

My favourite are American V8s - the less efficient, the more delicious the rumble :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom