200 miles from full tank from 320clk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

320clk

Car
320 clk
most of my trips are extremely short less than 3 miles and im only getting 200 miles from full tank 13.6 gallons.

is this right? my mums car does 420 miles to this 75 pounds i put in and shes got a 320d bmw who says diesels are not worth buying for short mileage lol.

14 mpg sounds about right for a cold engine & short journey

Nick Froome

Nothing likes short trips when cold I'm afraid. My old commute to work was approx 5 miles of hilly NSL and my current w211 E320 CDI struggled to get to 20mpg on that trip but does high 30's over the tank.
Previous cars on the same journey:
Volvo xc90 t6 8-10mpg V's 22 overall
Bmw E39 530i petrol auto 18mpg V's 28mpg

clk 320

are you saying your Mum's car is also only used for short 3 mile trips ?

and she is getting far more miles per gallon ?

I miss punctuation.

For a trip of less than 3 miles have you thought about walking or buying a bicycle ??

Aren't 2 litre 4 cyl cars bought for their superior economy in preference to 3 litre 6 cyl cars ?

As much to do with engine capacity as fuel type.

what im trying to get at is if i put in 70 pounds of petrol in my mums bmw and drive the same journey and distances to and from, I get more nearly 200 more miles than my CLK, then again my clk is due a major service so well see if that helps. but no my mums car isnt used on short journeys BUT i did have to use it for a month when i had no car.

guys who say walk, how many people can really be bothered? i already go to the gym many times a week, dont think it will benefit me more already.

duplicate

guys who say walk, how many people can really be bothered? i already go to the gym many times a week, dont think it will benefit me more already.

Walk / cycle to work and drive the car when it gives you pleasure to do so.

But it will benefit the car since they hate lots and lots of short journeys where they never have the chance to reach normal operating temperature.

Surely a wind up -

You're questioning why your 3.2 V6 petrol doesn't get anywhere near the same MPG as Mummy's 1.9 diesel right?

In my opinion the BMW is high mpg for a diesel. 420 miles from a tank is not good either. I have a Vectra 1.9 diesel and always get 500 miles to a tankful. On a good steady run to France recently I saw 700 to a tank.

In my opinion the BMW is high mpg for a diesel. 420 miles from a tank is not good either. I have a Vectra 1.9 diesel and always get 500 miles to a tankful. On a good steady run to France recently I saw 700 to a tank.
I have a W208 CLK55 and get ~350 miles to a tank and that's just 45 mins commutes back and forth to work! I think if I did 3 mile trips I'd be seeing under 10mpg and economy like the OP.

I do 15 mile round trip every day, stop start traffic with occasional blasts (usual with WOT) on dual carriage ways to make up for time lost in traffic jams, my 3.2 i6 gives me 230-250 milex on a same size tank. On a run using motorways staying below 3.5k rpm I can get nearly 400 from the same tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom