2000 Cl500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peterg1965

MB Enthusiast
Car
2019 Audi Q7, 2018 Mini Cooper S, 2016 Porsche 718 Boxster S
Apologies if this has been posted before.

I am not in the market for one but, just seen this, looks a very decent car. It is badged as a CL55 AMG, but it isn't. Suspect someone might get a bargain but I bet it is a bit of a cash cow. Those AMG exhausts look a little odd, this stick out from the rear too far. Has 4 months warranty too, but it may not be worth the paper it's written on. The comment ' as far as I know everything works fine' does not inspire confidence though!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=180314511003

I'd love to have a CL500 and one old enough to be taxed under the old VED system, but like you said, these cars can gives owners some shocking repair bills.

Seen them go for cheaper than this with less mileage too. Still, it's a great looking motor!

I'd love to have a CL500 and one old enough to be taxed under the old VED system, but like you said, these cars can gives owners some shocking repair bills.

If you are going to get one get a newer one with less miles. The extra VED when it does come in will cost you an extra £4 a week!! An older car will probably cost you more than that if you do have problems!!

Bob

If you are going to get one get a newer one with less miles. The extra VED when it does come in will cost you an extra £4 a week!! An older car will probably cost you more than that if you do have problems!!

Thanks. Sometimes some basic maths puts it all into perspective.
Is it really mileage that wears these cars out or poor maintenance?
For exqample, I gather the suspension costs £1000s to repair. Is that purely linked to mileage or owners not servicing and maintaining the car to the required standard?

I guess it depends what parts you are looking at, suspension is probably general wear and tear where as the engine will be down to good maintainance, look after it and it will last a few 100,000 miles, abuse it and it wont!!
The more gadgets and toys a car has the more there is to go wrong, i always aim for a car a few years old, most of the depreciation has gone and hopefully any problems resolved. Had my E55 3 years, cost me a Crank position Sensor and general servicing. Chance you take with any car really, fingers crossed for this one for me!!

Bob

I have to say that is exactly the sort of car/price/age I would get in ten years or so as a second/third car, when I am semi retired, have a huge garage and much more time on my hands. It could be looked after, cosetted in the garage and got out to enjoy at weekends. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom