2000 E320 T Cdi rpm at 62 mph

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

axelvic

Car
'06 C 220 CDI, '07 E 280 T CDI
I've got an w210 E320 T CDI, and it uses a bit more fuel than previous cars of the same model I've had. I think the transmission may not be locking up as it should. The engine speed in fifth gear when cruising at 100 km/h or 62 mph is 2.000 rpm, can anyone who has a car like this tell me whether it's normal or not?

Last edited:
If someone still runs one of these, please check when you're on your Sunday drive. [emoji3]

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

I'll try remember next time I'm out on a run

What MPG do you get?

Thanks a lot! I get around 30-38 gently driven, with my previous one (an 01 model) I was sometimes close to 50, all measured brim-to-brim at the pump.

Yes a bit low. Is the thermostat ok? Engine temperature when warm?

The thermostat is new, car runs at just over 80 degrees. To be fair, it has supplementary diesel heater which obviously uses a bit of fuel, but so did the last one as well.

Is this normal, or is the lock-up not working?
2ac474b692fb9d5bb01c0ed29d9abed1.jpg

Correct as it's in Km...

Yes, 68.4 mph equals to 110 kph, which it would be doing at 2,000 rpm then. So it seems like that's the culprit. Has anyone experienced this on a 722.6 gearbox?

It's normal operation of w210 .to change the fifth gear it need more rpm.

Checked mine today, it runs at around 1750rpm @60ish mph

At 70mph, it was around 2000rpm

Ok, it sounds like the lock up doesn't work then. I'll have to check the codes. Thanks a lot!

maybe previous owner changed differential for one with incorrect gear ratio? how long you had the car? was it different before? the ratio of the diff is stamped on the back of it, bottom right looking from rear of the car (ie 2,65 or 2,82....). not sure which one you should have though.

I've just had it for a year, but the previous owner had it from new, and I'd be surprised if he had replaced the differential with a different one. But you never know, I'll have to check.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom