2000 E320CDI Starting Problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidpmiller

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can advise:

I have a E320CDI, unfortunately sometimes when left over night and certainly after a few nights the car is difficult to start. On the first turn of the key after the glow plug light goes out it attempts to fire but failts. It then takes about 30 seconds of ignition turning to get to the next attempt and evenetually it starts!!

It's been into the dealer overnight and they say its fine!!!! I've had all the glow plugs changed last year, one of the injectors changed a few months ago and two years ago the MAF.

Any ideas would be great as it appears to be getting worse even though the dealer says its fine!!!

Regards
Dave

It sounds as though air is being drawn into the fuel system. You probably need new pipes and seals.

Yes, its a common problem. Do a search and you'll find lots of similar reports, all of which are cured by sorting the airleak. As dieselman says replacing the rubber seals on the the fuel system will probably sort it. Have a look at the front of the engine where there are the clear fuel pipes and see if you can see any air in them particularly when you (or someone else!) is trying to start it. What can happen is that air gets in and allows fuel to drain back to the tank. Result is an empty fuel system that needs time to refill as you try and start.

Saw this on a friend's 220 CDi. We traced it to the fuel filter seal. Easy and cheap enough to do as a first attempt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom